• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who can tell me about this Brockage half dime?

3 posts in this topic

a rreally good question and extremely interesting to me

and not easy to answer as to price guesstimate but i will give it my best shot

the coin is really very rare but the collectors are rarer!

it is an extremely esoteric coin

also halfdimes are super small and many collectors do not like halfdimes also being an error and also lower grade this also doesnot create demand for this coin

also coins are about three things demand demand demand

this coin is rare so why collect a coin you cant find? you cant make create demand with a coin lets say to put together a type set of brockage coins if you cant find them so collectors can get them they look for coins they can find on a regular or somewhat regualr basis

also hard to find and establish values for these error 19 century coins not much information out there to look up even in specialized error price guides

it would be better if it was a brockage with the date on it the obverse on it

for me a $1200.00 coin maybe more? lots more?

but if you buy this coin you had better plan on loving it and keeping it a long time

and IF YOU decide to sell this coin

YOU NEED JUST THE RIGHT PERSON TO buy IT WHO WANTS IT and you might just find the person!

and this person is rarer than the coin

but that is my guesstimate only my guesstimate

who knows what the future holds?? i think it is a great coin! but a collector coin not an investor coin and a coin you need a really specific buyer for

sincerely michael

Very interesting. A brockage occurs when a planchet sticks to the upper or lower die after being struck. This coin serves as the new "die" when the second planchet is fed into position. The press then strikes the second planchet, which receives normal details from the coinage die, and incuse mirror details from the first struck coin.

Bust brockages produced on a screw press (<1837) are extremely rare. Brockage errors for modern coins on high speed presses are much more common. For Seated Liberty type, I don't know how common they are, and don't know the pricing. An reverse mirror brockage will bring a higher price than this example because it has a date. On bust coins, an obverse mirror brockage can be dated from attribution of the reverse die, but they still are not worth as much as those with a date.

In Bowers and Merena's auction of the Russ Logan collection, an 1825 F12 dime obverse 2 "reverse mirror brockage" (or "obverse brockage") realized $20,700! This coin had a Hilgard/Logan pedigree and was the cover coin for volume 8 of the John Reich Journal. In the same auction an 1827 AU50 dime JR1 "obverse mirror brockage" (or "reverse brockage") realized $10,350. Having an Ivy/Lovejoy/Subjack/Logan pedigree did influence the price. The date and die marriage was determined through attribution of the reverse die, and determining the die state.

Edited the message regarding NGC's usage of "obverse mirror brockage" with a reverse die. Is this correct?