• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JamminJ's 2005 Top 10 Coins (Part 1)

19 posts in this topic

Last year about this time I posted my top ten coins bought during the year 2004. It was a fun and interesting (at least to me) retrospective so why not do it again this year!

This thread has coins I ranked ten through six for the year, I'll follow up with the top five as time allows. I've tried to mix up the types as much as possible to keep duplication to a minimum. Some are downright scarce coins, others are more common ones in unusual states of preservation and other I just happen to really really like.

As always, comments are welcome! Here we go...

2750337-001.jpg

Coin No. 10: 1807 Austria copper 30 kreuzer, Vienna mint.

One of these had been on my list for quite a while, I just liked the idea of owning a nice big honkin’ copper coin. Struck the year after the demise of the Holy Roman Empire, the legends list so many titles that they almost plead “I’m the emperor and I’m still important!” It came from a dealer price list and I paid way, way over catalog for it as I had never seen a nice one. Surfaces are smooth, brown and somehat glossy with a touch of red hiding about the legends and the beaded border of the reverse. Many small carbon spots limit the grade. I’d like to add the copper 15 krezuer to keep this one company.

1880330-008.jpg

Coin No. 9: 1843 Germany/Nassau gulden

This one came from the mid-year Long Beach show just sitting in a dealer case waiting for me to come by and scoop it up. I have a fancy for some of the pre-empire German coins so this one has plenty of soul-mates in my collection. The highlight is the color which could be a bit lighter but features with nice shades of green & blue throughout with some red & yellow towards the rims. Luster is nice beneath the toning. I think this coin is quite a bit better than the slab grade indicates, he’ll probably take another trip to Florida one of these days.

2750338-052.jpg

Coin No. 8: AH1327/6 (1914) Ottoman Egypt 5 qirsh, Heaton Mint

This one came from a local dealer’s shop. It actually took two tries for me to buy, I passed the first time (it’s tough paying full catalog for a country as unpopular as Egypt) regretted it, and was happy to take it home on my next visit. I collect an occasional Ottoman coin as a sidelight and this one is the highlight of my mini-collection. Highlight of this coin is it’s wonderful, crusty originality. The toning is hardly monstrous but adds a splash of color towards the rims and adds an authoritative “I’ve not been dipped” to the whole coin. Strike is typical for these with some weakness on the toughra. Super luster!

p90022494.jpg

Coin No. 7: 1904 E Germany/Saxony 2 marks, Muldenhutten mint

This one was from e-bay, won for the opening bid (somewhat over catalog) with no competition. I have a small collection of German Empire 2 and 3 marks coins, with this coin being a proud survivor of a recent culling of that collection. This is one of the more common crowns, struck in fairly large quantities and saved as a commemorative of the King’s death. I didn’t do a good job of capturing the toning but in hand it is wonderful. A sea of shimmering metallic cyan swimming on the fields with semi-prooflike surfaces below. Technically the coin is superb. I like to add a similar looking two mark coin from Saxe-Meiningen to keep this one company.

2750338-046.jpg

Coin No. 6: Taisho 3 (1914) Japan 1 yen

This one was from a local shop, the owner marked it up from the written price after looking it over. Actually purchased in late December of last year it missed the cut off for the 2004 top ten, hence it’s inclusion here. It’s my first Japanese coin and inspired yet another collecting theme. One year type and the most common of the large size silver yens. Bright white with blazing, creamy luster highlights this one. A full strike nicely brings up the detail on the dragon. Reverse contact marks limit the grade but in my heart it’s a 65. I hope to grow my quasi-type set in the coming year.

Jamminj,

I really like the first coin you posted, the 1807 Austria copper 30 kreuzer. It’s a beauty! thumbsup2.gif

John

Thanks for the comment and for visiting this sleepy forum. It took two years of semi-active looking to find a nice one.

2750338-046.jpg

2.gif3.gif1.gif3.gif2.gif

acclaim.gif

I remember that coin. I, too, am surprised it only came back a 64. Nice coin! thumbsup2.gif

Some chatter on the reverse holds it back. confused-smiley-013.gif

2750338-052.jpg

This one came from a local dealer’s shop. It actually took two tries for me to buy, I passed the first time ( it’s tough paying full catalog for a country as unpopular as Egypt ) regretted it, and was happy to take it home on my next visit. I collect an occasional Ottoman coin as a sidelight and this one is the highlight of my mini-collection. Highlight of this coin is it’s wonderful, crusty originality. The toning is hardly monstrous but adds a splash of color towards the rims and adds an authoritative “I’ve not been dipped” to the whole coin. Strike is typical for these with some weakness on the toughra. Super luster!

This triple emoticon is for the bold letters part: 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif ,I don't think gmarguli feels this way after the sale of that colorful quirsh at 30 times its Krause value. makepoint.gif

Other than that a wonderful example, I have a feeling that you're soon going to add more Ottoman coins to your collection. smile.gif

Also, the gulden is superb too, I initially gave it a 66 when you posted it for the first time and played guess the grade.

I'm also a fan of the large copper 30 kreuzer. cloud9.gif Fabulous posts and terrific coins!

Hoot

Thanks! I know your feelings about nice copper.

2750338-052.jpg

This one came from a local dealer’s shop. It actually took two tries for me to buy, I passed the first time ( it’s tough paying full catalog for a country as unpopular as Egypt ) regretted it, and was happy to take it home on my next visit. I collect an occasional Ottoman coin as a sidelight and this one is the highlight of my mini-collection. Highlight of this coin is it’s wonderful, crusty originality. The toning is hardly monstrous but adds a splash of color towards the rims and adds an authoritative “I’ve not been dipped” to the whole coin. Strike is typical for these with some weakness on the toughra. Super luster!

This triple emoticon is for the bold letters part: 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif ,I don't think gmarguli feels this way after the sale of that colorful quirsh at 30 times its Krause value. makepoint.gif

Other than that a wonderful example, I have a feeling that you're soon going to add more Ottoman coins to your collection. smile.gif

Also, the gulden is superb too, I initially gave it a 66 when you posted it for the first time and played guess the grade.

That one had the monster color going for it, I'd me more impressed if the middloe of the road nice (but not monster) stuff showed signs of life.

The Gulden was dissapointing. foreheadslap.gif I have a box of stuff that looks like it could grade higher. One of these days I'll get around to sending th emost rpomising candidates back.

1880330-008.jpg

Coin No. 9: 1843 Germany/Nassau gulden

This one came from the mid-year Long Beach show just sitting in a dealer case waiting for me to come by and scoop it up. I have a fancy for some of the pre-empire German coins so this one has plenty of soul-mates in my collection. The highlight is the color which could be a bit lighter but features with nice shades of green & blue throughout with some red & yellow towards the rims. Luster is nice beneath the toning. I think this coin is quite a bit better than the slab grade indicates, he’ll probably take another trip to Florida one of these days.

New grade: MS65. yay.gif