• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

INB grading a joke

29 posts in this topic

I bought an inexpensive slabbed Silver Eagle MS70 graded by INB. Under 10x there are 2 rather pronounced gouges in the prime focal area! MS70?

Question:

Do some of these grading companies not give a $%*# what they put out there?

any thoughts?

Do some of these grading companies not give a $%*# what they put out there?

NO but they care what they bring in....money from unsuspecting clients.

There is nothing wrong with buying a coin in some odd holder. You just have to know what you are buying....treat the coin as "raw". The slab in those cases really means nothing. Of course, the slab means nothing in the case of the top TPG's too but the seller won't agree. grin.gif

jom

If been doing alot of research latley concerning grading, and the examples I have from PCGS and NGC look to be acurate.

Those services do a better job but since there is heavy involvement in reslabbing/resubmissions of coins they aren't perfect.

It sounds like you are a bit new at this so my only advice would be to keep doing the research. You need to look at a LOT of coins before you get to the point where the slab "doesn't matter". And even then your expertise will be limited to a few series.

Oh...and welcome to the boards. laugh.gif

jom

Thanks for the welcome Jom.

Your right, I can see even with yrs experience just really being proficient in just a few series. I've gotten serious recently about collecting, and I've been reading up on Peace Dollars. I will prob put together a set in AU-58 to MS66/67.

Any thoughts on the Peace Series?

There are four, and only four reputable grading companies in the U.S.: NGC, PCGS, ANACS and ICG.

ALL, and I mean this without exception ALL other grading companies are scams to suck in your money without providing a meaningful service.

That's all you need to know!

James

ANACS has been around forever...70s maybe but have had, what, three different ownerships.

PCGS - 1986

NGC - 1987

ICG - crica 1996 ???

I'd add SEGS to the list but they have some problems at times.

It's good to keep looking around at as many coins as possible. ESPECIALLY if you make a big buy....you need to learn a lot before you pay big dough. I'd also avoid paying big premiums for a small step in MS grade. If you don't know the difference yourself you shouldn't pay for it.

View auction lots as much as you can. It's FREE and good source of different coins. You can decide what you like. Otherwise you'll end up buying crapp you later have to get rid of because you lose interest. You WILL lose money doing that...

But until you've got a lot of experience and you want to buy some coins stick to slabbed coins from PCGS, NGC and ANACS.

jom

There was a time when PCI would have made the list, but only in fifth place. Since I know and respect Larry Briggs personally as a phenomenal numismatist, I will not comment on SEGS, but there are reasons why I do not include SEGS on the list I mentioned before.

Also, I specifically stated "U.S. companies". ICCS, the Canadian company, would rank FIRST if included in my list, with all the others dropping down a notch.

James

ICG does a good job in SOME series, not so good in others. yay.gif

I think you can probably say this for ALL the grading services...

jom

ICG now has some of top graders ever in the business and they are consistent. They were formed to be independent, no coin dealers are allowed to have any ownership, unlike the other big ones. That way there are no "special deals" for the owners since they are not coin dealers.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm pretty new at serious collecting, and I'm learning more every day. I now know that the "safest" is PCGS, NGC, and ANACS. I'm deathly afraid to buy non slabbed material online but as I get better at grading what I'm most interested in I think I can one day grab some obvious bargains in the unslabbed market.

wink.gif

Carterofmars:

I highly recommend that you read Scott Travers' "Coin Collectors Survival Manual" before you spend "serious" money on coins!

He explains how to go about being a collector - how to buy, how to sell, what common traps to avoid, etc.

It's the book I wish I had read first, when I got back into coin collecting.

edited to add: p.s., you and ten thousand of your closest friends (some of whom have 20 years' experience) are all looking to grab "bargains" among unslabbed coins. How lucky do you feel?

p.s., you and ten thousand of your closest friends (some of whom have 20 years' experience) are all looking to grab "bargains" among unslabbed coins. How lucky do you feel?

Dave thanks for your advise. But you seem a little pessimistic. I'm just looking to enjoy the hobby and hopfully be in the black 20 years form now. Try to remember that collecting is "Fun". I think that with research and common sense, it's possible to achieve both.

I'm having a ball smile.gif

p.s., you and ten thousand of your closest friends (some of whom have 20 years' experience) are all looking to grab "bargains" among unslabbed coins. How lucky do you feel?

Dave thanks for your advise. But you seem a little pessimistic. I'm just looking to enjoy the hobby and hopfully be in the black 20 years form now. Try to remember that collecting is "Fun". I think that with research and common sense, it's possible to achieve both.

I'm having a ball smile.gif

Thats one of the best things I have heard in awhile... someone is truly enjoying the hobby.... Thats what I try to do as well smile.gif

Carterofmars:

I am having fun, but I'm also not kidding myself about what I know compared to what others know and what coins are out there compared to what coins I think are out there.

I've just started collecting 3 cent silvers. To buy these slabbed is too expensive for me. I have found that going to different auction sites, and going through their archive and current auctions I"ve been able to see how the major graders (pcgs&ngc) have graded 3 cent silver coins, and get a good idea of what I want in a raw coin.

I'm not sure if I have an INB slab. Got a picture?

Shocking News on Christmas! Conder doesn't have a picture of some TPG slab!!! Film at 11!!!

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

jom

What? INB and SGS and FSG are not TPG services. They only grade their own coins and it's 70 for everything past 1940. Show me the person who's ever submitted to them and I'll show you the guy who encases them. SEGS might have problems, but no more than other services, and their holders are top notch and don't chip all the time like PCGS's. Of course I only have two SEGS slabs so that's not a lot to base their grading standards on. A TPG service is one you can submit your coins to and pay a price to have them authenticated, graded, and encapsulated. This would require a physical address and a pricing structure. ACG, NNC, NTC, and PCI are real even if lenient graders. INB, SGS, and FSG along with a host of others are not even real. In fact they are even worse than a dealer writing a grade on a 2x2 (which some eBay sellers will call carded to make it sound even more special). If you want to buy the coin and not the holder, just make sure the seller has a return policy and you should be fine.