• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the future of the silver spot...

12 posts in this topic

i work at a shop, i deal with coins & bullion all day long.. today one of our big spenders came in and spent 6 grand on silver. couple weeks ago another one came in and spent 9 grand.. we have another guy that buys silver dollars as fast as we get them. anyway, i've heard a few times now that we'll see $50 an ounce before we know it.. the 9 grand guy says $100 in about 2 years, one of them says a 15:1 silver/gold ratio is inevitable.. (33/500)

i've been taught that the 'rule of thumb' is for every 10 people that think prices will rise, there are 10 people that think they'll fall.. as in 'ya never know what'll happen'. just out of curiosity, what do you guys think... have you been hearing these rumors too? how much faith would you put into this....

this thread is a mess.. i'm tired.. i'm losing sleep over this i guess wink.gif

i guess $50 an ounce is indeed inevitable, but are we talking 2007, or 2027.................... who has the crystal ball

Check this out www.amergold.com/newsroom/gma.shtml

About a third of the way down you'll see International Bull Market Gathers Strength in blue. Read this!!!!!!!! I found the part about the de-coupling of the U.S. dollar to the price of gold pretty interesting. With such a surge in the metals lately, this would explain a lot more than the everyday explanation of...it's all in supply and demand...

Well, according to this article there is a bunch more going on this time. I hope some of you will read this article and comment. I'm not quite sure I understand all that's there or the implications. It sounds like it is just starting to heat up.

Jerry

i work at a shop, i deal with coins & bullion all day long.. today one of our big spenders came in and spent 6 grand on silver. couple weeks ago another one came in and spent 9 grand.. we have another guy that buys silver dollars as fast as we get them. anyway, i've heard a few times now that we'll see $50 an ounce before we know it.. the 9 grand guy says $100 in about 2 years, one of them says a 15:1 silver/gold ratio is inevitable.. (33/500)

i've been taught that the 'rule of thumb' is for every 10 people that think prices will rise, there are 10 people that think they'll fall.. as in 'ya never know what'll happen'. just out of curiosity, what do you guys think... have you been hearing these rumors too? how much faith would you put into this....

this thread is a mess.. i'm tired.. i'm losing sleep over this i guess wink.gif

i guess $50 an ounce is indeed inevitable, but are we talking 2007, or 2027.................... who has the crystal ball

If there is a major change in world currencies, such as a switch from US dollars to European Euros as the medium of exchange for oil, then there might be a spike in gold. Otherwise, I believe speculation is running the gold market over $500.

TRUTH

Hey, Jerry, I see your monaker says the 1881-S MS65 Morgan sold for $485 in 1989. Would you believe that is a good coin at current value? I know its the standard coin that indicates the health of the mkt...List your top affordable Morgans in MS 65 that you deem worthy? Please. Regards.

I don't know that we'll see a 15:1 silver to gold ratio anytime soon, but I do believe that the current 60:1 is much too high. To correct the imbalance, either silver must rise or gold must fall. I wouldn't bet on the latter. If we see further deterioration in the confidence in fiat currencies, you could see additional investment demand for the white metal, even if we don't see a surge in industrial demand.

The longstanding rule of thumb for the silver to gold ratio was about 20:1 through 1980. This also was the "official" ratio at the time FDR demonitized gold.

If there is a major change in world currencies, such as a switch from US dollars to European Euros as the medium of exchange for oil, then there might be a spike in gold. Otherwise, I believe speculation is running the gold market over $500.

TRUTH

I agree. Hype drives demand which causes prices to soar.

I agree. Hype drives demand which causes prices to soar.

Yes, but where is the hype you are talking about? Certainly not on CNBC or the financial media which continually feature analysts talking down the gold market. Most of them thing anyone positive on gold is nuts! Until I start seeing daily features on CNBC and front page articles in the Journal telling how great an investment gold is, hype will be the furthest from my mind. In fact when I see those media being positive on gold that will be a huge sell signal.

As for the recent price action, it's almost exclusively the result of recent action on the TOCOM.

Just the mere fact that gold broke the $400 and then the $500 barriers creates hype unto itself. People wouldn't touch it when it was $275 throught the $300's but now, everybody wants it. The rising prices fuels speculation which creates hype. Who knows? Maybe it will continue to soar but will it will most assuredly be followed by a price correction. However, gold will always be a much safer surety over our fiat money system.

i hear you on the gold being safe bet.. it's been proven over the years that it matches inflation, and you pretty much can't go wrong. but a jump to $1000 an ounce means that gas costs us $5 a gallon, and a new suit runs around $1000. Silver on the other hand, to me, seems like it has work to do... silver and gold go hand in hand and logistically thinking, a significant jump is about due.. and if history repeats itself i think it's time... it'd be nice to see. each tick gives me a smile... let's do this wink.gif