• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am ready to make the BIG MOVE.

47 posts in this topic

Barber halfs will drive you crazy finding them, expecially in AU or above. I knew a collector/dealer who was trying to do a nice AU Barber half set. He never did get it finished. Too few coins, too many collectors.

I was thinking either Barber quarters in original, mid grades or, better yet, a half cent collection. They are much scarcer than large cents but do not receive quite the attention, hence, better prices.

Half Cents are still tough, Victor. So are Barber Quarters! Where are you now?

Central Arkansas at my mom's right now. I'm going to try to line up an assignment in Texas next. Florida after that. I just wrapped up a 2700 mile drive. The first 700 miles from Tacoma to Reno was tough since it was a constant downpour. Otherwise, was a good drive. Still, not my favorite chore, however. Too bad we didn't make it to a show but, hey, you have different priorities now since you're engaged. wink.gif

Take care, bud.

Wow, Truth . . . you've set some pretty tough constraints: a single denomination, with color, and no copper.

If you weren't looking to build a set by denomination, I'd suggest a Longacre type set (although that would include some copper). Assembling a set that memorializes his contributions as Chief Engraver over such a long period of time would be an educational and fun challenge. Most of his designs are captivating; and, of course, his tenure at the Mint covered a very interesting period in American history. A Longacre set could also include a foray into patterns.

If you weren't looking to exclude copper, I'd suggest a two cent proof set. I am also somewhat skeptical of high grade copper -- or, as you put it, "high grade copper doesn't stay high grade." Original color on old proof copper, however, is both beautiful and protective against degradation. The two cent series, in my view, is underappreciated for its place in American history, and I find that there is some charm to the design. Finding the right coins to assemble a beautiful toned set would be a challenge.

If you weren't looking to build a colorfully toned set, I'd suggest -- what else -- shield nickels. Completing a set of true gem shields is more difficult than most people imagine; and, once completed, you can move on to -- or concurrently collect -- shield varieties. The blessing and curse of shield varieties is that the set will never be complete. There is no better instruction on the minting process of the mid-nineteenth century than collecting and studying shields.

But, if you're truly determined to assemble a single-denomination set with color and without copper, none of these suggestions will work. In that case, I'd probably go with your original idea of Buffalo 5c -- even though building a complete set of colorful coins would be a daunting endeavor.

So . . . What are you going to do?

OK, I have decided. I will collect Buffalo 5C and Washington 25C. Why you ask? Because both series do not have those silly FH, FT, FB designations. They grade the coins for what they are. Maybe I'll sneak a Standing Lib 25C here and there. wink.gif

TRUTH

Wow, Truth . . . you've set some pretty tough constraints: a single denomination, with color, and no copper.

If you weren't looking to build a set by denomination, I'd suggest a Longacre type set (although that would include some copper). Assembling a set that memorializes his contributions as Chief Engraver over such a long period of time would be an educational and fun challenge. Most of his designs are captivating; and, of course, his tenure at the Mint covered a very interesting period in American history. A Longacre set could also include a foray into patterns.

If you weren't looking to exclude copper, I'd suggest a two cent proof set. I am also somewhat skeptical of high grade copper -- or, as you put it, "high grade copper doesn't stay high grade." Original color on old proof copper, however, is both beautiful and protective against degradation. The two cent series, in my view, is underappreciated for its place in American history, and I find that there is some charm to the design. Finding the right coins to assemble a beautiful toned set would be a challenge.

If you weren't looking to build a colorfully toned set, I'd suggest -- what else -- shield nickels. Completing a set of true gem shields is more difficult than most people imagine; and, once completed, you can move on to -- or concurrently collect -- shield varieties. The blessing and curse of shield varieties is that the set will never be complete. There is no better instruction on the minting process of the mid-nineteenth century than collecting and studying shields.

But, if you're truly determined to assemble a single-denomination set with color and without copper, none of these suggestions will work. In that case, I'd probably go with your original idea of Buffalo 5c -- even though building a complete set of colorful coins would be a daunting endeavor.

So . . . What are you going to do?

Truth, as usual, Great Post!! hail.gif

OK, I have decided. I will collect Buffalo 5C and Washington 25C. Why you ask? Because both series do not have those silly FH, FT, FB designations. They grade the coins for what they are. Maybe I'll sneak a Standing Lib 25C here and there. wink.gif

TRUTH

May I suggest you only collect those Buffalos with a Full Tail and only the Washingtons with a Full Beak. That way when PCGS starts giving the Full Tail designation late next year, you'll be ready for it. You've got a few years for the Washingtons, but might as well be prepared.

TRUTH

Knowing your taste for commens, I think you will build and OUTSTANDING herd of Buffalos. I cant wait to see what you pick up.

Actually, I don't see why you would want to AVOID the series with the Full Whatevers. I find that the non-FX coins can be had for a big discount given you aren't losing much in strike. I think these are the best deal in the coin market....along with the Choice AU grade.

As to collecting toned Buffs. Good luck on your bids....you're gonna need it. devil.gif

jom