• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am ready to make the BIG MOVE.

47 posts in this topic

Come January 1st, I have decided to change my emphasis from commems. I will not sell any commems, just change what I will be looking for. So, I am searching for a new denomination to collect with color. My first impression is Buff 5C in MS64 and above, the entire series. I have begun with a 31S, 30S and 37D, all nicely colored. But I can be swayed into another series.

What do you suggest and the reasons why?

TRUTH

1) This is a really bad move. You NEED to let go of your commems. It'd be like keeping around an old girlfriends picture. Cut the cord and get rid of them. I can help. Call me.

2) How about toned modern commems. devil.gif

3) How big of a challange are you looking for? A Lincoln set in toned green or a Rosie set in white?

No copper coins at all, since high grade copper doesn't stay high grade. No modern crapola either. They have got to be real coins.

TRUTH

Perhaps world coins of some sort? Plenty of real coins in that category.

Standing Liberty quarters are down right attractive. Not too big, not too small.

Standing Lib quarters are a possibility. However, your reasoning isn't convincing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

No copper coins at all, since high grade copper doesn't stay high grade. No modern crapola either. They have got to be real coins.

TRUTH

Perhaps world coins of some sort? Plenty of real coins in that category.

I am already collecting high grade Mexico. Gotta have a US coin fix.

TRUTH

Standing Liberty quarters are down right attractive. Not too big, not too small.

Standing Lib quarters are a possibility. However, your reasoning isn't convincing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Do these generally come with color? I've seen a few with some nice rim toning but don't recall any with thet really nice color you'd see on a Morgan or some of the wilder commems.

I like SLQs as...

Silver which has a nicer look than any othger coinage metal

They have the best design of all the 20th century coinage

A reasonable size set to complete

I don't like SLQs as...

You have to put up with the "Full Head" BS.

May not be redily avaliable with "truthteller" type color

Walking Liberty halves. Focus on those that are well struck and colorful.

Another good choice.

Are you looking to complete a date/mintmark run? If not, how about defining some type of proof seated liberty coinage set.

Walking Liberties and Peace dollars would certainly present a challenge as far as finding nicely toned examples.....?

I vote for Mercury dimes.........they can be found with nice toning but not as frequently as say Morgan silver Dollars. They have a classic and highly sought after design.........and are certainly more affordable then a lot of other series......

TRUTH

And buffs are 75% copper... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Buffs are modern... makepoint.gif

Just back away... sumo.gif

Hoot

IMHO, Peace dollars, although with no great rarities, are the most difficult series to find well struck, clean surfaced coins with eye appeal. The "S" mint coins are major hurdles for well struck examples with nice surfaces in MS64 or above. The next most difficult series in the 20th Century would probably be Walkers, Buffalo nickels and SLQ's.

original with super eye appeal and choice to gemto superb gem grade

and do a colored proof/mintstate biz strike mix and/or match type set

start with the barbers and go backwards

you get value 893applaud-thumb.gif rarity hail.gif opportunity thumbsup2.gif and a fundemential reason to rise in demand flowerred.gif as these coins are not many times over bid cloud9.gif like with colored morgans

I don't like SLQs as...

You have to put up with the "Full Head" BS.

May not be redily avaliable with "truthteller" type color

As to your first objection: Just ignore the FH crapp if you can. The problem is when you find a nice one you really like but you have to end up paying that annoying premium for the FH.

As to the color: It's true...most SLQ's with any "color" are awful. Dank and ugly in most cases...however you can find a nice one every so often. I do. grin.gif

jom

How about a Whitman penny board and collect Lincolns, from pocket change, 1959- date?

Try and find coins that are XF or better without spots/problems.

It's a quest few are able to finish but I have complete faith in you and your abilities. Good luck!

Go with Morgans. Everybody's doin' it!! grin.gif

I like the Standing 25c suggestion. A beautiful classic design.

Buffalos would also be very nice.

Barbers would be my 3rd choice. Go with the halves.