• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What the hell do I do with this UGLY PENNY - Slab it or Sell it or or or !

30 posts in this topic

Hey Guys / Gals and those of no gender.

I pulled this out of the ol' vault today and have to decide what to do with it.

I have to check with the powers that be HERE to see if its a gradeable variety and slabbable or if its just too out there. WHat do you guys think ...

This is the OBVERSE

1944_error1.jpg

This is the REVERSE - YES I SAID REVERSE and Flipped exactly so its rotated too!

1944_error2.jpg

Excuse my fingers but this shows the clamshell going 90% around the coin

1944_error3.jpg

I know I know its VERY VERY VERY UGLY I probably should just throw the dam thing away

sign-funnypost.gif

Any input is wanted and accepted with glee

Mike

headbang.gif

I owned a clamshell coin in a 1883 nickel and this is a clamshell - The part that is connected is intact. Perhaps a look under a microscope on the GOOD section will decifer if there is a complete line around the whole coin which would be the give away.

Dunno I am having NGC look at the pictures and see what they say.

Thanks for the input though

Here it is -

1944_error4.jpg

Found a thread that said check the ring when dropped - Identical to a 1972 penny sound - I have yet to find the specifications for weight and size in 1944 ??? Does any one have those specs ?

Whatever you do, don't put it up for sale on eBay. There is liable to be some insufficiently_thoughtful_person who will bid $1,000 for it!

Chris

You probably shouldn't have said that Chris,now it will be on eBay for sure! 893whatthe.gif

stooges.gif

I am a salesman too you know ... of course it is there - I have to pay my

NGC bill somehow.

I even called it what it is a "Magicians" Penny .. we will see .. any guesses on final auction price ?????

gossip.gifgossip.gifgossip.gif

The auction is here.

Which me luck and good fortune

smile.gif

I am a salesman too you know ... of course it is there - I have to pay my

NGC bill somehow.

I even called it what it is a "Magicians" Penny .. we will see .. any guesses on final auction price ?????

gossip.gifgossip.gifgossip.gif

The auction is here.

Which me luck and good fortune

smile.gif

Just good luck. I was going to say what class you could use those pictures for... 893naughty-thumb.gif but i'm not going to touch that with a 10 foot pole.

anyway good luck popcorn.gif

You are bidding on this interesting item I picked up showing a lincoln head on both sides of the coin. The reverse show extreme damage in a 90% rotation. I don't think this is real two headed penny but I have no clue how to tell. I call this a "Magicians" penny as there were few two headed coins made to look that way but were a lot NEWER looking. This is coin is a 1944 so I really don't know if the technology to make a magicians coin existed back then. Weight and size look correct.Dropping it on a table with a like penny of the same year area sound the same .. interesting specimen anyway you look at it.I have nice pictures of Both Fronts smile.gif and an edge shot showing what looks like a clamshell error.

You wrote above:

Doesn't matter - I have found soldier on the coin ( blargh )

Your auction description is misleading,I think you should revise it.

But then I go ahead and tell smile.gif don't I

It is pretty accurate but you say:

I don't think this is real two headed penny but I have no clue how to tell.

Even though you mentioned that you found solder on the coin.

My Yard sale is going well .. I am going shopping the first of the year

Your not going to feel that way after you get the prison shower experience form Ebay and Paypal...

My Yard sale is going well .. I am going shopping the first of the year

Your not going to feel that way after you get the prison shower experience form Ebay and Paypal...

I got my eBay invoice just a few days ago,what a Christmas gift! sign-rantpost.gif

I had a couple and won them all - issues were mostly in car parts though.

I got one tonight that some bozo wants ME to warranty a Third Parties GRADE on a coin.Quoted the Thirds Party Graders Warranty to him and I will win this one too.

To make Hayden happy I modified my description smile.gif

Have Good Holiday Season folks

I had a couple and won them all - issues were mostly in car parts though.

I got one tonight that some bozo wants ME to warranty a Third Parties GRADE on a coin.Quoted the Thirds Party Graders Warranty to him and I will win this one too.

To make Hayden happy I modified my description smile.gif

Have Good Holiday Season folks

Thank you "dearest" Mike yeahok.gif

and a Merry Christmas to you! grin.gif

What is your opinion of a Buyer Reversing payment saying that a third parties grade is wrong. Fight it or settle ??

Mike

I think with coins, you should always offer a full refund for ANY reason.

Nothing scares me away faster than the old statement I see all the time:

"We are not an approval service ......... No returns on graded coins".

That implies "please buy my UGLY coin, just because it is certified and graded!"

All you can do is ACCURATELY describe what you are selling, and hope for the best.

I have a few coins that I would never sell on eBay, because by the time I described them,

I'd be lucky to GIVE them away!

I've seen many sellers who will offer a return on their raw coins but not their certified pieces.I believe this is wrong,either offer a refund on everything or not at all! If your material is accurately pictured and described you should have no worries about returns.I have a 14 day,no questions asked return policy and I've only had one item returned.

You know - I have enough humility to say that I respect the opionion of my peers and numismatic friends and am getting the concensus that I shoud pull the auction. I HAVE PULLED the auction not because I felt any pressure to do so, as you NEVER said "I" would not do it and you shouldn't either, but because there are still some nice guys out thier and would like to think I am one.There would have been some serious action on this so called error with 24 people watching since last nite, I am sure noobs, but sometimes its just not worth it.

I also warrantied the TPG coin someone wanted to return. Sometimes all you need is a good swift kick in the butt to restraighten your head a little ..

With all my regards and thanx,

Mike

Watch out the Monster has awoken and is [embarrassing lack of self control] off - New England Patriots take a dynasty to the next level. Three games - POINTS against 10 Points for 58.

Gonna make Poor Payton bow his head in frustration as we always do and take the conference and NFC is a joke - just kidding

Good Luck

FOLLOW UP -

I had 9 people ask me why the auction was stopped and offered me their money. The business man that I am who am I to refuse to take it ... The auction is reposted and I am ready for the flaming .. I think I can take it.

Have A Good Holiday guys/gals/other ..

FOLLOW UP -

I had 9 people ask me why the auction was stopped and offered me their money. The business man that I am who am I to refuse to take it ... The auction is reposted and I am ready for the flaming .. I think I can take it.

You're gonna get it!

Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah!

Chris

PS. Geez, it's 8AM on Christmas day. What the heck are you doing here! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif MERRY CHRISTMAS, MIKE!

hahahahah

Baaahhhhhh Humbug

tonofbricks.gifBaaahhhhhh Humbug

tonofbricks.gif

FOLLOW UP -

I didn't have any problem with the auction itself,it was just your description.Good luck! thumbsup2.gif

Merry Christmas everyone! yay.gif