• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is your most memorable coin related experience?

18 posts in this topic

Recently, I have been thinking a lot about how much enjoyment coin collecting has brought to me over the years. Of course a large amount of the enjoyment comes from the coins themselves, little disks of metal that allow me to mentally go back it time and sometimes truly awe me with their beauty.

However, when I think back on some of the special memories I have about this hobby I find that most of them have more to do with people than coins. Over the years, I have been fortunate to have met and become friends with, either online or in person, quite a few truly decent and wonderful people in this hobby and they have all, in one way or another contributed to fond memories.

As a young boy in the mid 1960’s, I started collecting coins from my grandmother’s pocket change. Every time she got home from shopping, she would let me go though her change and pick out any coins I needed to fill my coin folders. Those coins are long gone, but the memories of the time spent with my grandmother, searching though her change are with me forever.

I think the most memorable coin related experience I have had as an adult happened a few years back. Without going into all the details, it involved two people who happen to post to this board unselfishly putting me onto an absolute monster of a coin. I can’t help but think of the two of them and the events of that day every time I look at that coin.

I’m sorry for being long winded, but I thought that especially at this time of year this subject would make a good post. So, what is your most memorable coin related experience?

John

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Perhaps it was the time that I had a table at a larger show and a friend who collected commems came by and asked if I had seen anything interesting. Oddly enough, I had just seen an outstanding Delaware half and the only reason I had not bought it was because I had also just purchased an incredibly choice 1794 half dollar. I told my friend to buy the coin and, after some jabbing, he did. What a coin! 893whatthe.gif

Shortly afterward, two other friends of mine showed up and both had the pleasure of seeing the newly purchased Delaware. Unknown to these two other friends, they both made offers on said Delaware! foreheadslap.gif Mayhem was about to break out as they nearly came to blows over this off-the-market coin. That was pretty cool. smile.gif

Honestly, aside from that experience, it has been the people. wink.gif

One day, when I was about 12 years old, my mother unearthed an 1883 shield nickel while we were working together in the family garden. I had no idea what it was; then, after I was able to identify it by referring to the Red Book, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It’s quite corroded, but the details are still sharp, suggesting that it had dropped out of someone’s pocket before it had seen much circulation.

Yes, I still have it. TDN -- do you still have the coins that your grandmother gave to you?

Most memorable for me is when my parents (on separate occasions because they're divorced) asked me to show them some of my coins. That was a real treat - they spent a lot of time looking and listening to me tell about them.

Second for me is the life-long friends I've made as a result. I've a small core of coin buddies who are MUCH more than just coin buddies.

The coins themselves come and go. They are catalysts to the enrichment of the interpersonal relationship.

This is a good thread. Thanks, John. I know I spend precious little time on the boards nowadays, so lest I later forget -- HAPPY HOLIDAYS to everyone (including the fine folks at NGC).

EVP

I would say that the FUN show in Fort Lauderdale last year was quite memorable as it was my first hunting experience with toned coins. I met some wonderful folks at the show and made some great friends including Ron Sirna, Brian Wagner, a couple of Mike's...lol and the list goes on and on.... yay.gif

Ron was actually kind enough to put me up in his hotel room even though we had never met and I had just joined the TCCS. His generosity, connections and coin knowledge helped me come away with some fabulous coins!!!! cloud9.gif

This years FUN is just around the corner and just happens to be back in my home town of Orlando. Although I don't have any disposable cash for the show I am really looking forward to meeting up with old friends and making some new ones. If anyone here is going, please think about stopping by the TCCS both and saying hi as I will probably spend quite a bit of time manning it Friday-Sunday thumbsup2.gif

I would have to say that my most memorable experience was, and still is, joining the NGC Collectors' Society. Everyone, here, is so eager to help one another. Sure, there are sometimes clashes between personalities, but that doesn't alter the fact that everyone is drawn closer together in the exchange of information about a hobby we all enjoy.

Chris

Suck Up!!!!! 893censored-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

flowerred.gif

tonofbricks.gifE tonofbricks.gifX tonofbricks.gifC tonofbricks.gifL tonofbricks.gifU tonofbricks.gifD tonofbricks.gifI tonofbricks.gifN tonofbricks.gifG tonofbricks.gif

devil.gifS devil.gifH devil.gifA devil.gifN devil.gifE devil.gif,

frustrated.gifN frustrated.gifA frustrated.gifT frustrated.gifU frustrated.gifR frustrated.gifA frustrated.gifL frustrated.gifL frustrated.gifY frustrated.gif! frustrated.gif

yay.gifC yay.gifH yay.gifR yay.gifI yay.gifS yay.gif

PS. WAIT UNTIL I GET TO ORLANDO! YOU'RE DONE!

This is an interesting thread. I really haven't had any "memorable coin related experiences", and that's a shame. I don't travel to shows, I only sometimes go to a little show near where I live. I don't buy a lot, maybe a few coins a month, and mostly for albums. Essentially, coin collecting for me is a very solitary experience, relaxing and therapeutic, but not very social. screwy.gif

Wihlborg---Very interesting thread----Have "many" interesting stories. But coin wise it has to be finding a 1909S V.D.B. and a 1955 DDO in the same little brown 2x2 envelope that was popular back in the fifties.It was part of a collection that I had purchased. The old gentleman had marked the 2x2 on it's outside and put a little note inside the envelope giving the date he had found the 09S V.D.B.---I gave decent money for the two pieces---certainly more than most dealers would have done under the same circumstances. The people stories that I have mostly revolve around my family and friends when I was young and just starting to collect. Wonderful memories. Bob [supertooth]

I got $50 for Christmas in 1975 when I was ten and purchased a 1914 D Lincoln in VG/F from the bid board at the local coin shop. . Wow, fifty bucks for a penny? I wish that I still had it.

finding some adoptive monster "coin" parents at the balty show and one long distance adoption and doing well with the adoptive fees paid

and then being able to provide the orphan children i am helping with all their requirements health related food and lodging education etc. for them to have a much better life and get on their own

and thanks to all of the persons who helped facilitate this adoption process