• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many years of income is your collection worth?

How many years of income is your collection worth?  

795 members have voted

1. 1. How many years of income is your collection worth?

13 posts in this topic

I was having a debate yesterday with a buddy of mine over the ridiculous amount of money he spends on his car collection. He tried a number of methods to try to put it into perspective for me. And by the end of it, we were haggling over years of income as a measure.

Talking about this guy having a $10K coin collection or that guy having a $200K collection tells you nothing about whether they are wasting money on coins. Or for that matter whether they have invested very wisely and their collection is out-appreciating their lifestyle.

So I thought I would open it up. Ballpark the value of your collection, and divide it by what you make in a typical year. What do you get?

As an example, if you make $40K a year and your collection is worth about $10K, that's about 3 months worth.... I started this poll down in the Comics area and the results have been a bit surprising. I am curious how different things will be here.

Yep, Dad helped me out too. Surprisingly my Mom did also. They divorced early on but wound up collecting many of the same types of coins. acclaim.gif

I would have to say less than a years income, but in my defense, I'm new to the coin world. On the other hand at the rate I'm buy coins I may be divorced by the end of the year!!!

This measurement is very sensitive to the length of time you have been collecting. If you've been collecting for a year or two, I wouldn't expect you to have more than a small fraction. But if you've been collecting for 10 years, or 30 years, or longer, then I would expect the fractions could get rather high. Also, if you are good you can buy things at a discount, cherry pick, or buy sleepers or during a bust time. These would all increase your percentage, but not have any bearing on the propriety of the amount spent. As a result, the numbers on the graph from the poll are very close to what I would expect.

A year or less since I recently sold off a whole lot of stuff. In fact, probably quite a bit less than a year (I'm not rich).

Prior, I probably had two years' worth of income tied up in coins!