• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I finally found another toned matte proof Lincoln.

35 posts in this topic

WOW! 893whatthe.gif

I really like the obverse. I don’t care for the streak of missing tone on the reverse, but I wouldn’t let it keep me from buying the coin at the right price.

Congrats on a cool pick up. thumbsup2.gif

John

Shane,

You would like it in hand. Believe me.

John,

It isnt missing tone on the reverse, rather just toned a different color. But I understand what you mean.

This coin definately has a unique 'look' to it. It actually goes with another 1914 I have that has a blue reverse and an orange "lightning bolt" going down through the middle.

It's a super coin, but to me, for a proof, it lacks a certain sharpness that I have seen in other year early Lincoln proofs.

No......I'm not downgrading the coin...........

I reference this because it may go a long way to answer why so many 1914-D

cents are so poorly detailed in the central obverse.

The master hub itself for all 1914's might be a little "mushy".

Just my opinion.

Pete

Wow, that one is different. The color is great for a matte proof. I've seen many that are just plain brown with little matte proof glow. Others get a RB on the holder, but only have a touch of red. This one has unique colorful toning that is tough to find in the matte proof series. These proofs are much tougher to find than any of the proof Indian head cents.

The surfaces have that orange peel effect. That is a bit different. Usually they are either very grainy, or are a smoother satin/matte.

It is good to have a coin like this on the NGC board. I think the post would soon get lost on the PCGS board with all the boring post saying, look at my recent grades! Then others would discredit the coin for being in an NGC holder and not PCGS.

Pete,

This coin is pretty well struck. I will ty to get another pic showing detail. I really wanted to bring out the vibrancy and color of this coin so something usually has to give.

Merc,

I agree 100% with everything you said.

Hayden,

screwy.gif

grin.gif

Wow fantastic colors, 893applaud-thumb.gif

Can’t help but love that coin. cloud9.gif

That's one very sweet, sweet, oh so pretty it makes me crazy kind of coin... insane.gif

It looks like the original Mint tissue storage did its work. Did any of you realize that the Mint issued these in a two-pack with the nickel? I believe at this time the price was just over a dime for the pair. Earlier matte proof Lincolns could be bought with the brilliant proof Liberty nickel for eight cents as a pair. Since so many people were dissatisfied with the look of the matte proofs I wonder how many were simply spent?

Very interesting Tom, I didn’t know about the mint packaging.

A goal of mine for this next year is to get a matte proof 1913 type 1 buffalo nickel for my type set, a PF64. I really like the look of the satin proofs and have wanted a least one example in my type set, that nickel would work out real fine. cloud9.gif

Did any of you realize that the Mint issued these in a two-pack with the nickel?

11 cents through 1916, I believe, and it included postage.

Hoot

Since so many people were dissatisfied with the look of the matte proofs I wonder how many were simply spent?

A quick look at the pop reports bears this out.

Less than 30% of the entire mintage of 17,000 has been certified at NGC and PCGS. Only 10% of the total mintage is graded 65 or higher.

These numbers are virtually unchanged from the pop reports of 8 years ago.

Thanks for the info Tom and Hoot. Wouldn't it be nice to go back in time? At 11c for a set you could have bought the entire mintage of Lincoln and Buffalos in 1914 for $290. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

BTW.... I want to thank TomB for selling me my first matte proof. And because of that my wife wants to kill you wink.gif

Hey, chinook, if I had known you were going to scomp up all the attractive matte proof Lincolns I would have never let you buy the piece! sumo.gifwink.gif

My own stash is far smaller than yours and only consists of a handfull of these gems. They are just too hard to come by with fabulous eye appeal. If you ever have any that are available you could make your wife happy by offering them to me! grin.gif

By the way, Hoot knows the exact price of these as issued from the Mint because he kept his original receipts since the time he went to the Mint himself and bought these coins. 893whatthe.gif

may you have many more matte proof deals thumbsup2.gif

and when the sh*t hits the fan so to speak in 2008 you will be glad you have the matte proofs any matte proofs thumbsup2.gif great eye appealing even better flowerred.gif and even especially so the 1909 hail.gif mattes and the penultimate matte proof coin 893whatthe.gif a gem/superb gem hail.giffull cherry red orange original never processed dipped 1909 matte proof 893whatthe.gif

and of course the best of the best in terms of penultimate matte proofs a superb gem full cherry red orange unmolested fully original 1909 roman finish matte proof lincoln angel.gifflamed.gifangel.gifflamed.gifangel.gifflamed.gifangel.gifflamed.gifangel.gifflamed.gifangel.gif

oh my i am getting weak kneed here and tearry eyed shy.gif

You must check out Tom B's 1912 matte Lincoln in his registry set:

1912 PR 66 RB Lincoln

The 1912 PF65BN imaged is a stunning example of this greatly under-appreciated matte proof series of coins. The surfaces are a beautiful and mark free sandblasted copper with mellowed color. There is actually no red on the coin, however, the deep purple and navy coloration is even and flows smoothly over the obverse and reverse. The obverse appears slightly bluer while the reverse has a vibrant, deep purple swoosh throughout. Fortunately, the intentionally granular surfaces show neither staining nor flyspecks or fingerprints. The coin seems to be graded a bit conservatively but this is in keeping with the PCGS habit of strict grading on deeply toned matte proof pieces.