• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Details' grading policy for corroded pieces?

4 posts in this topic

This coin was purchased raw, and sent to ANACS because I had other stuff going to them anyway. It's now in a VF DETAILS slab, which does not make me happy.

1860-O-xf-details-obv.jpg1860-O-xf-details-rev.jpg

I thought this was a lock for XF details at least. I agree that the obverse is generally 'soft', but my take is that that's a factor of the corrosion and "brown gunk" rather than the details themselves (look at the strength of the hairline, which is even better in person, and the entire reverse). My take is that this was a dug coin that had been buried obverse-side up, and the obverse suffered the worst from the corrosion.

So, after you get past the obligatory we-can't-make-a-commitment-based-on-a-photograph disclaimers, I have two main questions for you:

1) Let's assume for the sake of argument that you agree with my analysis: that this coin would have been XF/AU before it was buried, but that the corrosion has indeed softened the obverse a bit since then. As a general rule of thumb, would such a coin get labeled based on its pre-corrosion grade or based on the net result after corrosion? Obviously, it would get labeled as corroded in any case.

2) Although I'm only guessing that this coin was buried, you've probably seen enough coins that you can recognize this particular type of corrosion with some confidence. If that's the case, do you have a thought for whether you could do anything to restore a more natural appearance to this piece, and maybe 'de-gunk' it a bit in the process? I don't think I've ever seen you give any response other than 'we've had some success but individual cases may vary', but I suppose there's always a first time... :-)

Thanks for any opinions-without-commitment you can provide!

jonathan

First, I would not be able to give you a commitment based on photographs. I can try to explain how NCS might approach handling a coin such as yours.

When we grade for NCS Details Grade, the graders try to give the coin an opinion as if the coin didn't have a problem. The graders will attempt to grade the piece ignoring any detail loss due to the surface problem such as the corrosion on your coin. This is, of course, said without actually seeing your coin.

As a general rule, when it comes to conserving coins that are already holdered as "problem coins" from another grading service with major faults, there will be little if any conservation work done. This is since most often coins with large scale problems will look worse off and may be less stable for long-term storage with conservation work. The exception may be coins with encrustations or active corrosion spots. It appears as though your coin may have some encrustation issues that could be addressed through conservation. It could also be a trick of the image, so I would not be able to give you a certain evaluation on that. A more natural appearance would be the goal with the conservation of a coin such as yours.

I hope this helps you somewhat.

Chris, NCS

I may have caused some confusion with one point in my original answer. It isn't that the coin is already certified as a "problem coin" that would cause it to not be conserved. Generally, the coins we see that have already been certified as "problem coins" general have a surface that appears stable and any conservation work that may be performed will impact that look in a negative way. There have been and will be exceptions to this generality.

Chris, NCS