• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Upgrading NGC from early holders

11 posts in this topic

Hello all. I have about five first generation NGC slabs (64-65) mod commems, and was wondering if there is anyone out there who has had any success upgrading early NGC holders (pre-barcode). I would be quite happy if you could tell me the ratios. For example, with my first generation PCGS holders (the rattlers), i have had 6/7 upgrade.

Thanks

hardin2413

Unless you intend to sell, I see no reason to spend the money for upgrade. I DO think scratched holders should be sent in for reholder. It is my opinion that some of the old NGC holders are not as air-tight as the new holders, so they may allow some unwanted toning on white coins.

Reasons to send in for new holder:

1) You actually think the coin might upgrade. Do this ONLY if you intend to sell. Otherwise, what's the point?

2) Scratched slab. Send in for $5 reholder (or whatever it costs now).

I can't think of any other reason....save your money for more coins.

jom

Howdy and welcome. I doubt you have first generation NGC holdered coins as NGC was not certifying modern commemoratives when they first opened. In fact, they would not grade any coin dated after 1963, I believe, for quite a while. Also, the barcode was added to NGC slabs in 1992 and there were at least four distinct slab styles for NGC prior to the addition of a barcode. The true first generation NGC slab has a black core instead of a white core and these are quite scarce.

Howdy and welcome. I doubt you have first generation NGC holdered coins as NGC was not certifying modern commemoratives when they first opened. In fact, they would not grade any coin dated after 1963, I believe, for quite a while. Also, the barcode was added to NGC slabs in 1992 and there were at least four distinct slab styles for NGC prior to the addition of a barcode. The true first generation NGC slab has a black core instead of a white core and these are quite scarce.
I agree. Most likely you have NGC 4 style holder, or later. What I said above still pertains.