• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HK20 So Called Dollar with original packaging

9 posts in this topic

Here's an interesting piece of history. It's the silver version of the US Centennial commemorative medal, made by the US Mint. I've been looking for one of these for a while that had the case, but I didn't know that there was an outer sleeve as well until I came across this one.

hk20case1.jpghk20case3.jpg

hk20obv.jpg

hk20case4.jpghk20rev.jpg

Yeah, I'd been seeing the nicer ones go over $200 for the medal alone. The only other one I'd caught on eBay that had a case (but not the outer sleeve) went over $300, I think. That was a couple years or so ago... I got this one for $360 and change and had a lot of room left in my bid. I have no idea what it's real value is, I just wanted it. smile.gif

Truly superb! thumbsup2.gif I'm drooling along with Chris! tongue.gif

Hoot

Let's try not to drown in one another's, Hoot.

This is slightly off the subject, but I've been having a similar problem with a French medal that I've been after. It's one with the ship, S.S. Normandie, on the obverse. The reverse is a depiction of an allegorical woman riding a whale. Every time I locate one, it goes for $250+. One went over $375. I really like it, but I still think it is way over-priced. I can only guess that the bidders are drunken sailors who have a great interest in maritime memorabilia.

Chris

This is my absolute favorite SCD! In fact, I bought the silver one before I even knew what a SCD was. Since then, I've purchased the gilded and bronze American Centennial Medals, which are, in fact, the very first medals issued by the US Mint.

Unfortunately, my silver HK 20 (or 21?) is hairlined but with great details. I've followed these closely on ebay and yours is the best example that I've seen to date. It actually looks proof-like! Sweet! Is the obverse a weak strike or wear on Liberty's breast? Nevertheless, I love your example and would love to own its equal. I saw one sold by vic1665 with the original case like you have but the medal itself was black and very ugly. It sold for about what you paid.

p.s. Here is its big sister which I purchased on e-bay this past week:

ag_1.jpg47_1.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

It's the same one, EZ, but it's not toned to black yet. It does have the typical weak strike. I also have another that is bright. I was interested in this one more for the medal and package together.

Deadwood III? confused-smiley-013.gif