• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1892-S Barber Quarter PVC damage

2 posts in this topic

Hello. I attached a scan and a picture of the obverse of my 1892-S Barber Quarter. Nice coin except it got some pvc damage from the old type 2 x 2's where a rubberband that was holding a stack of 2 x 2's was sitting on the coin. Also the Obverse has a spot left of the ribbon about the 8 o'clock position. Reverse is in excellent condition.

I would like to get this coin graded by NGC but I don''t think they accept it with that damage. Do you think NCS can conserve this coin well enough that you can send it over to NGC raw to get graded. I know it is hard to say from the photo but if you think there is no chance that could save me some time.

Also in case you try to conserve the coin and you send it to NGC and they won't grade it and I decide to have NCS slabbe by you am I correct to say you will not assign an actual grade to the coin ie ms-60 with damage to cheek?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Craig

589a8f9aaddc9_1031664-busheyscoins052.jpg.946be8dc2bd87a72eba8eedf63682d05.jpg

It is difficult to be accurate in an evaluation from an image of a coin. Images do not always reflect accurately what the problem to be addressed is caused by. Your coin is particularly difficult.

We have had success in removing the residues left by a rubber band in the past. Unfortunately, short of actually submitting the coin for the evaluation team to inspect, I would not be able to give you an idea of how successful we might be with your coin.

If the coin is submitted for professional conservation, we can submit it for grading on your behalf. If the surfaces are free of problems that would cause the piece to "no grade" with NGC, it will be transferred to NGC for certification. If the piece does have an irreversible surface problem, it will be encapsulated with NCS with a Details Grade and a description of the surface problem.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact NCS directly at 866-627-2646 or ncshelp@ncscoin.com

Chris, NCS