• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are There Any Coins that have returned to Their 1989 Highs?

7 posts in this topic

I know there's been a couple of corrections since the market of 1989. Have there been any coins within any Series that have returned to their 1989 highs?

I'm not talking about the singles- such as Monster Toned Commemoratives- but coins within a grade that have bounced back?

Off hand I can't think of any so I bring this question to you guys.

I should think that most any reasonably nice early coin (1792 to 1807) is worth more now than it was in 1989. I'd also say that a great many large cents and half cents are now expensive also.

In the non-coin line, Civil War Tokens and Hard Times tokens are more expensive.

As for the early commemorative coins and other issues that were flying really high in 1989 (and were WAY overrated) those are all still lower than they were back then.

High grade, especially ultra-high grade, modern clad coinage.

Some of it. The proofs have not. Since PR70s were not really given back then, you can't look at them. The PR69s have not returned to their highs. I sold some common modern PR69s for several hundred dollars - stuff like 1983-S dimes and 1988-S cents. These would go for $10-$20 today. I got in the neighborhood of $1000 for a couple of PR69s that today wouldn't sell for $100.

The MS silver Ikes in most grades are worth less today. The MS66 1971-S used to sell for $400+ and now it is a $50 coin. The MS67 1972-S used to sell for $150+ and now they are $30 coins. The clad Ikes would probably sell for more today, but back then PCGS used to be MUCH more strict on them.

The MS clads were not too popular back then. I remember submitting coins and they were pop 1 because none had been graded for that date in ANY grade. I remember the dealer actually having to call PCGS to get the coin number because they weren't printed in their book. The prices I received weren't that good. In fact, had I kept many of them, I could get multiples of those prices today - especially for those coins that today would still be a top pop coin.

I remember at Long Beach having a Dealer ask me, back in 1990 or so, what it was I was looking for. I told him PCGS MintState Kennedies (I was putting a set together at the time) and he actually turned his back to me in disgust and never did answer me.

Moderns received ZERO respect back then. ZERO.

I remember at Long Beach having a Dealer ask me, back in 1990 or so, what it was I was looking for. I told him PCGS MintState Kennedies (I was putting a set together at the time) and he actually turned his back to me in disgust and never did answer me.

Moderns received ZERO respect back then. ZERO.

I got kicked out of a couple coin shops in the 1980's when the dealers discovered that I wasn't looking for Kennedies, Ikes or varieties in the mint sets so much as I was looking for gem quarters. This may well constitute even less than zero respect.