• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will happen to Michael

What will happen to Michael for Speaking Out  

159 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen to Michael for Speaking Out

121 posts in this topic

Looks like some sides are being taken on the thread across the street.

Let them...apparently they have nothing else to talk about. I'll bet Michael hasn't even responded to that thread....

jom

wild thAT 1918 STANDER is superb and one of the scarcest 20 century coin types with great toning cloud9.gif

oh and i aint posting on that thread across the street i did already and i said it all in one post angel.gif

the fear and anger of others and all the skullduggery and back stabbing shows the true colors of people and their true intentions shy.gif

which is not good or bad or even right or wrong thumbsup2.gif

just the way things are 893whatthe.gif

just look at the actions of all the people who have posted on this thread across the street this shows their true colors for what they are

see them and what they do in coins then you will see the real truth of the matter

and this is good! as life is only about choices

i hope you make all the right ones cloud9.gif

Chris: I don't have anything against you personally, or Hayden for that matter. I read most of your posts, as I read every one else's posts and I respect your opinion and your right to an opinion. I certainly don't want to chase you off these boards, nor do I have that right. The other-side Boards are annoying and I don't even go over there any more. I just want some degree of sanity here.

I am disabled and coin collecting is important to me. Because of medical limitations (asthma, COPD, heart failure), I am house-bound most of the winter. When the weather is cold, I am unable to go out and do most of the physical activities that I used to do. These boards are, along with reading and playing bridge, an important part of my entertainment. Learning more about coins is part of this, as are other collector's experiences.

I don't even post on the general topic boards here because a few people hijack them for their personal entertainment use and abuse of others. I know that the entire world of networking is blogged and clogged with personal agendas, worthless opinions and nonsense. All I ask is that these coin boards remain somewhat related to coin collecting subjects. This is nothing personal, please!

I just want some degree of sanity here.

Don't worry...that's probably not going to change anytime soon considering these boards are "Sleepy Hollow" according to some across the street.

wild thAT 1918 STANDER is superb and one of the scarcest 20 century coin types with great toning

Oh...but the coin really isn't worth collecting. It's not a FH after all. yeahok.gif

jom

Chris: I don't have anything against you personally, or Hayden for that matter. I read most of your posts, as I read every one else's posts and I respect your opinion and your right to an opinion. I certainly don't want to chase you off these boards, nor do I have that right. The other-side Boards are annoying and I don't even go over there any more. I just want some degree of sanity here.

I am disabled and coin collecting is important to me. Because of medical limitations (asthma, COPD, heart failure), I am house-bound most of the winter. When the weather is cold, I am unable to go out and do most of the physical activities that I used to do. These boards are, along with reading and playing bridge, an important part of my entertainment. Learning more about coins is part of this, as are other collector's experiences.

I don't even post on the general topic boards here because a few people hijack them for their personal entertainment use and abuse of others. I know that the entire world of networking is blogged and clogged with personal agendas, worthless opinions and nonsense. All I ask is that these coin boards remain somewhat related to coin collecting subjects. This is nothing personal, please!

CDR III, your post wasn't taken personally, but you are right. Sometimes the subject matter of the threads gets all skewed and turned around. Yes, I sometimes like to inject a little humor into some of my posts because "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". I guess I'm still a kid at heart, even at 58.

But, if I offend just one person on these boards, then I have done a disservice to everyone. I had no way of knowing that I was diminishing one of your principal areas of enjoyment. I, myself, have often thought that some of the threads/posts would be more appropriate for the "Watercooler", but I just don't care to go there because those people are really wacko!

Chris

Chris and Charlie---- I started to play mediator yesterday but deceided to wait a day. That's why I like these boards----different from the guys across the street. We have genuine people here----truly decent people. It would seem that decency has again come out. I applaud both of you. Charlie for being sensitive and Chris for being a person willing to say that he is sorry. Both traits bordering on 'humility' which is a truly rare trait these days. Chris, like Charlie, I thought that you guys had hijacked a rather serious and important thread. But, because you "ARE" a buddy, I ignored it. Yet, I love your humor [which I commented on the other day]. And Hayden and Travis [as kids]----just act as kids sometimes-----mostly in good fun. You play with them because you are you. But, my suggestion would be to start a "Fun" thread when you guys feel playful. We could all play---if we want to. But, when you see an important issue thread, keep to the issue. Now, Charlie, being a great guy, you came back just as you should have. But, like Chris said, I agree you did have a point to make. It was well taken. And your followup was even better. So, from 3,000 miles away----you guys have shook hands. God love you both. And Bob thanks both of you for being standup gentlemen. Bob [supertooth]

Oh...but the coin really isn't worth collecting. It's not a FH after all.

jom

well jom for me full head does not mean jack sh*t

as many full heads are weakly struck in many other parts of the obverse especially so the shield 893whatthe.gif

and even with a decent head the difference between full and reasonably struck head standers well it is like the difference between 2 and 2.05 really does not matter to me

i woujld rather have a really nicely toned above average eye appeal non full head quarter with a decently struck shield and head than some full head with a tiny little ear hole plug visible along with a leaf that cant be seen except under magnification and you know what you are looking for and the coin is blast white and with A weak shield frustrated.gifscrewy.gif

to me this full head thing is an overrated newly discovered overrated designation that is blindly followed by many

i need to see a stander in person and if it is not full head but well sort of close but has great eye ap[peal toning and also an above average strike in the shield and its parts thereof and the knee is fully struck or close with no rub on the knee i will take this coin over any full head designated coin any day of the week

also take a look see at many so called full head designated standers in holders a large number are highly questionable FH are many designated as full head really full head yes!! are many well kind of close almost there yes!!

and are many of these so called fh designated standers weakly struck in the shield YES!!!!!!!!!

then i really do NOT like that fh designation on the holder with the anywhere from 1.5x to 10x or more the price

increase due to the fh designation 893whatthe.gif especally so if it is not all there and many times has a weak knee and/or shield

and this is not goodor bad or right or wrong just an opinion

abd you buy what you like it is your monry juat make sure it is discretionary funds cloud9.gif

to me this full head thing is an overrated newly discovered overrated designation that is blindly followed by many

Yes it is and it is promoted by dealers so as to make a normally $500 coin into a $5000 coin. 893whatthe.gif Same goes for FB, FBL etc etc etc.

To me, it's all about eye appeal. I personally think a coin is well struck enough NOT to negatively effect the overall eye appeal then, IMO, it is "well stuck" enough. If you are a stickler for strike then maybe your taste wants something a bit better....which is fine. To each their own.

BUT when you have these ridiculous designations that focus on ONE part of the coin it just gets absurd...especially when huge premiums are paid. Like you said a coin could very well be FH but weak in the center (shield)...which often means MORE of the area of the coin is weakly stuck than on many full shield coins with non-FH. But yet big premiums are paid for FH. Boggels the mind... insane.gif

jom

but i will want a young fresh tender chicken 22-25 flowerred.gif

heh....who doesn't? banana6.gif

And to do my part to add something about coins...just for the hell of it....a newer purchase:

25c-18s.jpg

jom

Beautiful Coin!! Its hard to find commons that look like that, much less a 1918!! thumbsup2.gif

Hey guys,I really need to apologize for my actions.I do not mean to derail any thread or make these boards unpleasant for any board member,but this thread got out of hand and my actions were very inconsiderate to other board members.I will try to resist my itchy clicker finger better! blush.gif

Once again I'm very sorry about this and hope you guys don't have any problems with me continuing to post on the boards. wink.gif

Hayden

I agree 100%. I'd rather collect the 'just missed it' coins at a fraction of the price. And they are virtually indistinguishable from the 'just made it' examples!

Well, it can be nice to have a full struck 26-D nickel with good luster and rainbow toning. Since I'm not the King of Saudi Arabia however I have to temper my "wants" just a bit. So I've learned over the years to try to compromise what I will consider to buy. I generally favor toning and luster over strike and marks. So I guess that is where I get my opinions of the strike designations....it just doesn't interest me all that much. To some it may be the know-all-end-all though.....

jom

So I've learned over the years to try to compromise what I will consider to buy. I generally favor toning and luster over strike and marks. So I guess that is where I get my opinions of the strike designations....it just doesn't interest me all that much. To some it may be the know-all-end-all though.....

Interesting. The strike designations don't apply in my area of collecting; but, for me, strike and (absence of) marks are more important than luster and toning. I want a coin with fully raised devices that reflects the intent of the designer as closely as possible.

So I've learned over the years to try to compromise what I will consider to buy. I generally favor toning and luster over strike and marks. So I guess that is where I get my opinions of the strike designations....it just doesn't interest me all that much. To some it may be the know-all-end-all though.....

Interesting. The strike designations don't apply in my area of collecting; but, for me, strike and (absence of) marks are more important than luster and toning. I want a coin with fully raised devices that reflects the intent of the designer as closely as possible.

So what if they came up with a full Cross or something on a shield nickel ... and all of a sudden those coins with it went up 200% or more... you could prolly find a nice strike thats just a shade under the moon money coins...

So what if they came up with a full Cross or something on a shield nickel ... and all of a sudden those coins with it went up 200% or more... you could prolly find a nice strike thats just a shade under the moon money coins...

Good point, and that's probably what I'd do if the price of a "full cross" designation increased the cost of a coin by 200% or more.

I don't like the FBL, FH, FSB strike designations; I think that the quality of strike ought to be reflected in the grade of a coin without any need for a special designation. The special designations, IMHO, reflect a strategy to further segment the market to squeeze the last dollar out of a coin. As though the price differential between, say, a -65 and a -66 isn't already large enough, the collector is jacked up for a -66 with FBL, FH, FSB or whatever special designation the TPGs choose.

A full strike is worth a premium, but -- even if the TPG designations were truly indicative of a full strike -- the price associated with the designation is generally excessive. Yes, I know that a price isn't "excessive" if that's what a buyer will pay; still, I don't think that we can ignore the fact that managing supply (the creation of "rarity," for example, by strike designations) creates demand in a collectibles market. Too many collectors are too easily manipulated.

Edited to Add: Oops. It looks like the subject of this thread has merged with another: Thread on "First Strike" Designations.

who cares about hyjacked threads as long as it is collector numismatic coin talk

and not peddling coins worth hundreds thousands in holders

and a little above face out of holders that are available by the ton 893blahblah.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif

Michael,

I saw a 2005 satin finish Lincoln cent in a PCGS MS70 holder hammer for $1500 at Baltimore. I also saw a 89 year old coin with a mintage of less than 1000 in an PCGS 65 holder hammer for $2100.

Go figure. confused-smiley-013.gif

merry christmas and happy new years to the many humans 893scratchchin-thumb.gif on the pcgs boards

that wanted to put me down in the knackers yard

the way you conduct yourselves in life and the coin game speaks volumes thumbsup2.gif

many are watching cool.gif

I saw a 2005 satin finish Lincoln cent in a PCGS MS70 holder hammer for $1500 at Baltimore. I also saw a 89 year old coin with a mintage of less than 1000 in an PCGS 65 holder hammer for $2100.

Yep....that's the coin market for you. yeahok.gif

jom

Yep....that's the coin market for you. yeahok.gif

jom

Supply and demand poke2.gif

It isn't the Supply I was referring to. Only the coin market would Demand a 2005 Cent over one with a mintage of 1000. poke2.gif

jom

It isn't the Supply I was referring to. Only the coin market would Demand a 2005 Cent over one with a mintage of 1000. poke2.gif

jom

But I was talking about the supply of 2005 MS-70 cents compared to the demand. poke2.gif

While there is a much smaller supply of the 1000 mintage coin,there is very little demand. poke2.gif

tongue.gif

Hayden

It isn't the Supply I was referring to. Only the coin market would Demand a 2005 Cent over one with a mintage of 1000.

"But how do we know when irrational exuberance has unduly escalated asset values . . . ?" A. Greenspan, Remarks at The American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research, Washington, D.C., December 5, 1996.

jom

But I was talking about the supply of 2005 MS-70 cents compared to the demand. poke2.gif

While there is a much smaller supply of the 1000 mintage coin,there is very little demand. poke2.gif

tongue.gif

Hayden

I would be my life that there are more 2005 "MS-70" cents than there are 1916 matte proof Lincolns--the coin I was referring to---extant.

And the market tells me they are worth approx. the same? ROTHLMAO!!!!!

Thank you market for keeping "my" market reasonable. grin.gif

"But how do we know when irrational exuberance has unduly escalated asset values . . . ?" A. Greenspan, Remarks at The American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research, Washington, D.C., December 5, 1996.

Great quote!

I would bet my life that there are more 2005 "MS-70" cents than there are 1916 matte proof Lincolns--the coin I was referring to---extant.

Yeah, considering most MS67, 68 and 69 2005 Cents are pretty much the same as an MS70.

jom