• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1999 Proof 69 RD Ultra Cameo "Weird Toning"

2 posts in this topic

I Recently purchased this coin, and when I received it, it had what i like to call a Sunspot on the back of the coin. I've been dealing with Numismatics for about 15 years and this is the first time i've seen a coin come in an NGC holder without any thing listed on the front of the holder about the toning. I think it may have happened after the Encapsulation.

Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Josh.

The Image is kind of Blurry, my scanner doesn't work to well...

1013275-sunburstpenny.jpg.0b8a76d9ec071514eb690ed826959078.jpg

Hi,

The circular area of toning on the reverse, and sometimes on the obverse as well, is fairly common on the proof Lincoln cents from 1999-present. This area of toning occurs from the storage in proof set packaging, and is similar to the light blue layer of haze that the quarters and other minor coins exhibit after a few years of storage in the original packaging.

Unless the coin was given the * designation, rewarded for extremely positive eye appeal that could be a result of the toning, there is no other designation or attribution added to a holder to recognize a coin with or without toning at NGC.

Thanks,