• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some More Additions to my Japan Collection

4 posts in this topic

I've been working a side collection recently in parallel to my usual Germanic coins, this time from Japan. A few nice coins have recently been added, have a look:

The first is a nice 50 sen:

1958275-017.jpg

I bought this one from NEN on e-bay. They mentioned on their website about having come across a couple of original rolls and have been auctioning one or two each week for a while now. I just kept bidding what I wanted to pay for one and eventually the prices fell enough that success rewarded my patience! It's a fairly common coin with a catalog value of under $10, but boy is this nice! Very, very solid for the grade it has everything you could want across the board but the highlight is the blazing, nuclear luster. It's always nice when a sight unseen coin turns out to be dazzling.

Interesting side note: this was the last type of 50 sens struck in silver.

The second a 1 rin (0.001 Yen):

2750228-008.jpg

This one came from our own gmarguli on e-bay two weeks ago. I took the picture for him a few months back and at that time I made a mental note to bid strong when this one came up for sale. Very eye appealing with a light magenta tone and somewhat glossy surfaces. This type is fairly short lived with the last issue two years after this coins was struck, probably not worth much even back then. Meiji coinage seems the toughest in general of the three eras (reigns) which strike my fancy so I'm glad could add at least one coin from then to my set.

Originally I was going to go for one coin of each denomination, but now I have two 50 sens when you include the one in this thread. Apparently I need to rethink my strategy!

Comments are welcome.

"Nice" indeed! thumbsup2.gif

Maybe one of these days I'll put together a type set of coins from when my dad lived in Japan (1935 to 1937). I haven't even researched pricing, but I imagine circulated coins from that era should be fairly inexpensive.

"Nice" indeed! thumbsup2.gif

Maybe one of these days I'll put together a type set of coins from when my dad lived in Japan (1935 to 1937). I haven't even researched pricing, but I imagine circulated coins from that era should be fairly inexpensive.

I believe the coinage from the late 1930s is very reasonably prices, even when extremetly well preserved. They made lots of 'em!