• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice blue tone on this........ VF coin ????

19 posts in this topic

I agree with braddick in that my first thoughts were that the coin had been cleaned at one point and then stored in some sort of cardboard holder for quite a while. I would guess that whomever had this coin in their set did not do the cleaning, rather, they bought the coin in a nearly white state and then set it aside.

Somewhat off topic, however, from the photo I think I might know who is selling this coin and, if I am correct, this seller turns up a very large number of raw coins with blue toning on them.

I found the picture on eBay, search for "seated blue" and you'll find it. Fun coin for the money. Thanks for the responses. This coin defines "retoning nicely". Would make my ANACS pile if it were in XF.

"I found the picture on eBay, search for "seated blue" and you'll find it. Fun coin for the money. Thanks for the responses. This coin defines "retoning nicely". Would make my ANACS pile if it were in XF. "

--------------------------

Ship it to NTC. You'll get your "XF". blush.gif

This coin looks wierd to me.....because.....the seated quarters I have with irridescent toning (about a half dozen of them) all have the darker colors on the OUTSIDE of the coin, not the inside. If the toning was caused by a holder, this would make perfect sense - the sulphur would come from the holder & you would expect to see the most toning closest to the sulphur source on the edge.

If I recall correctly, I read that the only time a coin would tone blue was if it had been subjected to an earlier cleaning.

Braddick, What were you implying about NTC? I have a couple of slabs from them but have never heard too much about them. They can't possibly be as bad as ACG. Are they known for seriously overgrading, too?

I wouldn't say that a previous cleaning is the only way to make a coin turn blue, however, it is a crelatively common way to have that happen.

Reminds me of a Crystal Gayle song: "...now don't it make your brown coin blue..." frown.gif Sorry, just couldn't resist.

greetings,

I am a frequent poster across the street under the name jbsteven and am the seller of this coin. I would have to agree it was probably cleaned long ago and put in an album. I bought it this way at Long Beach earlier this year. The blue really is as bright as the picture shows. Someone said they thought it looked like a seller that sells alot of blue toned coins, that would probably not be me. I DO sell alot of toned coins on Ebay but only have run across a few blue toned coins.

Braddick could probably give a reference if needed

wink.gif

Thanks for the heads-up JB. Like I said earlier, fun coin for the money. I save a lot of coin pictures from eBay that I think are interesting, and in going over the pictures the other day, that one struck me a odd. Not odd in a bad way, just odd. I hope it didn't seem that I was dissing your coin or the validity of the auction. Your coins and your auctions are first rate.

1964, no I did not take your post as negative. I just wanted to share what I know about the coin.

BTW I just dynoed my very moddified 2001 R1 and it came back with 175 horsepower and 92 lb. ft of torque. Only cost me $15,000 to get there but it is just about as fast as a streetbike can be.

shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif 175HP shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Be careful my friend! My Bandit 1200 runs at about 110HP and scares the heebee e geebees out of me. The avatar is a K1200RS which is my inspiration and justification for my Florida Lottery scratch-off addiction.

jbsteven1 - who are you talking about? I am RDS2112 on eBay, and cohiba1998 was the one and only bidder on the coin! And that user has been NARU'd.

I don't think this forum is the place to air out eBay laundry, and I don't appreciate you accusing me.

I recently changed my name on this forum from 1964_XF40_Dime to BodyBag, so I hope this hasn't caused any confusion, but I have been RDS2112 on eBay since 1998.