• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the UGLIEST coin you ever saw?

10 posts in this topic

well besides any franklin half grin.gif , I'd go with a 1909svdb I used to own that I had raw for a few years. It looked like it laid on the bottom of the ocean since 1910. Severely corroded!

In fact, I sent to anacs just to slab to make selling easier and it came back as EF details!!! Net G4!!!!!

was a piece of junk. I started it on ebay at .01c and it sold for 350.00 about 3 years ago.

I paid 160 for it about 10 years ago.

Have you SEEN my "worse known" registry?!

I may not have seen it all, but I believe I've contributed to its precious lowliness!!! laugh.giflaugh.gifwink.gif

I used to own an old greek coin with silver wash. It was part of a coin deal with lots of miscellaneous foreign. The coin had a grungy, unusual patina. I took it to a ancient expect and he anounced that the coin was a common copy that had been 'through' a goat. I asked what 'through' meant. He told me that during the 1950's and 1960's, it was common to sell coins to the tourists in Greece. They would make copies which looked new. So to get a 'old' patina, the counterfeiters would mix the coins with goat food and the goats would eat the coins. A few hours later, after the coins had gone 'through' the goat, the coins would be picked out of the goat droppings with a very 'antique' patina on them. YUCK!

TRUTH