• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you tell politely the stupid posters to stay on the PCGS forum?

86 posts in this topic

I found that thread over there. Pretty funny. People complaining that they didn't get an email. People questioning their posts. I laughed while reading that thread. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I don't know how many people got that email or if Askari was the only one, but those that didn't get one probably didn't get one for a reason. If tehy read the email that Askari posted, do you think they would understand why? smirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gif

I think it says something when that post was one of the most popular today over there.

This board complains that the PCGS board doesn't discuss coins enough yet there are some threads here that surely aren't coin related.

Yep, but the number of off topic posts here is maybe 5%. The number of off topic posts over there is probably 80%.

Now they are going after Mark Feld on the Registry Forum, Wondercoin and his snob collectors. Makes you want to gag. One of the nice guys over there and because he doesn't buy into everything they spew, they go after him.

Now they are going after Mark Feld on the Registry Forum, Wondercoin and his snob collectors.

Mark Feld is the devil. He is a dealer and as such he deserves to be attacked non-stop. At least that seems to be the reason to attack someone.

It's rather sad that all the dealers over there get attacked. I'm waiting until Laura (Legend) meets one of these verbal attackers in person and turns them into a woman. shocked.gif

Actually, Mark Feld does deserve a little attacking. He used to be an NGC grader and he spends most of his time over there. Sure he also used to work for DH, but everyone makes mistakes in life... smirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gif

I'm waiting until Laura (Legend) meets one of these verbal attackers in person and turns them into a woman.

Yeah, baby. It's likely all that will be required is a can of Nair and a lip gloss touch-up.

Greg,

Actually, Mark is being attacked by dealers (Wondercoin and a few others) because he feels that coins for sale should be posted on the BST forum - not cluttering up the registry forum. I think he's right. The PCGS registry forum has become nothing but a place for dealers to sell their material that they describe as "registry quality", which apparently is to good to be listed on the BST boards.

Andy mad.gif

I think he is right too. However, without those for sale posts, that forum wouldn't get more than 5 posts a day. So much for it "remains the number one informative coin forum on the Internet". smirk.gif

Greg, I know you got screwed over there. Can you all get over it???? Cripes, the watercooler over here is worse than the open forum over there. Why can't people just stick to whichever site they like and leave it at that?

I love to read BOTH sites. But some people here have a holier (sp?) than thou attitude.

I do agree the frankies and kennedy posts get very old after a while. But i DO enjoy reading the ebay scams. Good for a laugh.

Considering how little attention the Franklin and Kennedy series gets in the real collecting world, the amount of posts on these two coins over there is staggeringly disproportional.

This may be true, but I feel this is off-point. The CU U.S. Coin Forum is certainly more moderns-friendly than here, but that is probably due to CU itself being vigorously into the moderns market. In short, I attribute the disproportionately high amount of Frankie and Kennedy posts merely to be symptomatic of CU's orientation. I would not say that these posts, necessarily, are from stupid posters (which is the subject of this thread).

I remember when Russ first joined over there. He admitted that he's a newbie, and wanted to learn. He seemed to like Kennedy's, and used that as a vehicle to learn numismatics as well as the industry. He posts a heck of a lot about that series, and some may find it overkill, but I find his approach to learning about coins to be novel and appropriate.

Lucy is probably the biggest rah-rah of the Frankie series I know on the message boards. Likewise, I would not consider her a stupid poster on the subject matter.

IMO, the comment about Kool-Aid and WSM are on-point because they exemplify a sense of narrow-mindedness and abrogation of independence that are best relegated to RCC.

EVP

Wise words, EVP. I agree.

In fact, Lucy's enthusiasm for the Franklin series has got me looking at it more and more and picking up, slowly (!) some wonderfully toned material.

I wish she'd post over here more.

Plus, her knowledge about toning and the technical skills shut down IWOG on a couple of color Threads.

Greg, I know you got screwed over there. Can you all get over it????

What does what happened to me over there have to do with this thread? This thread was started by someone who wants the dolts to stay over across the street and not infect this place.

Cripes, the watercooler over here is worse than the open forum over there.

True. However, the OF is dying while the WC is gaining life. Right now neither are that good. But again, this has nothing to do with the coin forums.

Why can't people just stick to whichever site they like and leave it at that?

Who says they can't. All that this thread is about is keeping dolts away - unless you like hearing about state qarters non-stop.

I remember when Russ first joined over there. He admitted that he's a newbie, and wanted to learn. He seemed to like Kennedy's, and used that as a vehicle to learn numismatics as well as the industry. He posts a heck of a lot about that series, and some may find it overkill, but I find his approach to learning about coins to be novel and appropriate.

Lucy is probably the biggest rah-rah of the Frankie series I know on the message boards. Likewise, I would not consider her a stupid poster on the subject matter.

I just want to point out that I never called either of these posters stupid of even said I disliked their posts.

If all the posts on Franklins and Kennedys was due to the fact that CU is a modern pimp, then we would see tons of posts on other modern coins. While there are many, the Franklins and Kennedys greatly outnumber all other coin posts.

I just want to point out that I never called either of these posters stupid of even said I disliked their posts.

That is correct; sorry I didn't make that clear...

I was trying to point out that it isn't the topic of moderns that makes so many posts (and posters) stupid, but that they're stupid and simply happening to be talking about Kennedys and Franklins.

My fav person, WSM, is an excellent example of this: he pretty much only knows bullion coins and early 20th Cent gold that are so common as to be like bullion. I suspect that he couldn't recite the FBL differences between PCGS and NGC, nor tell anyone how to find an AH specimen.

He is the way he is simply because that is what he is...

EVP

EVP,

In nature, everything has its place. I think it's the same on these boards. If there were no stupid posters than the smart ones wouldn't look so smart. Everyone has a place, the trick is knowing what place your in. Once you know the place you are in than you need to decide if you are happy in your place. If not you will need to work harder to move up a notch. smirk.gif

John

This may be true, but I feel this is off-point. The CU U.S. Coin Forum is certainly more moderns-friendly than here, but that is probably due to CU itself being vigorously into the moderns market.

I may have some knowledge of this subject if no one minds too much another stupid post.

A year ago there was little toleration of anything modern at either site. Since that time both sites have undergone a dramatic transformation which more closely mirrors the overall coin market than it does either grading company. While participants at this site would seriously listen and and thoughtfully provide reasons that moderns were less than completely desirable, those who posted about moderns across the street were simply torn to shreds.

Since that time this side of the street has gained more experienced collectors relative to the other side. There is less likely to be an interest in these members than in less experienced collectors so now these boards have become less modern friendly than the PCGS boards even though these too have "improved" in this regard.

The direct causes of these changes have relatively little to do with either of the hosts and more to do with the ebb and flow of ideas and the interplay between these boards and the outside hobby.

I like the folks who contribute and who genuinely love coins on both sites. I enjoy talking to those that are passionate about what they collect, even if it is something for which I have little regard. I'd like to see those posters included in the conversation here. I'm sure many of my posts are less than stellar, and sometime OT, but I hope the common bond that causes us to chat is our passion for the hobby.

I agree with Don. I like the opportunity to learn about something I have no interest in collecting. But even more so, I would love to see a more respectful attitude towards those who collect something different. I realize that's an unpopular suggestion, so I'll just leave it at that and move on.

nwcs,

I think both you and Don are correct.

I also don't think it should be unpopular to show respect to others who may be interested in collecting something that may not interest you.

To those who look down their noses at others because they may not like what you like I say how would you like it if others treated you the same way? I bet you wouldn’t like it at all.

To be honest, I don't really mind any of the posts that have been made so far, and I certainly don't think anyone is stupid for making a post as long as the post is not a troll.

We all had to start at the bottom so there really is no such thing as a stupid question as long as the person asking it is trying to learn from the answer.

John

WOW!!! I thought I would never say this but I just saw a coin board worse than PCGS! They must make up those questions. How would that many new member post questions there? The boards I've been on allot might see non-collector questions once or twice a month. They get a few a day.

Looking at the responses I hope the questions are made up because of how the responses tend to be on the cruel side. That is a great way to scare away potential collectors. CHRIS

WOW!!! I thought I would never say this but I just saw a coin board worse than PCGS!

Maybe some of those posters will find their way over to the PCG$ forums? blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

I just thought I'd mention that I also collect mint state Walkers as well as Two Cent pieces in both MS and circulated grades. I've even been known to occasionally purchase Morgans, Lincolns, Jeffersons, Barbers, Hard Times tokens, Washingtons, and...

Russ, NCNE

I just thought I'd mention that I also collect mint state Walkers as well as Two Cent pieces in both MS and circulated grades. I've even been known to occasionally purchase Morgans, Lincolns, Jeffersons, Barbers, Hard Times tokens, Washingtons, and...

We'd love to hear about those mint state Walkers as well as Two Cent pieces in both MS and circulated grades. Morgans are fine. Barbers are fine. Hard Times tokens are great. Lincolns, Jeffersons, Washingtons, and.. are maybe fine. I'll have to take a vote and get back to you on it. wink.gif

And I just want you to fully know, that no one was singling you out as one of the "stupid posters".