• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1920 Pilgrim

2 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a 1920 Pilgrim Commemorative and I have a few questions about it I was hoping someone could help me with. I noticed that the coin has a large spike extending from the middle knuckle of the pilgrim, I assume that was caused by a die break. At first I thought it to be a scratch but under the loupe it was certain it was not a scratch as the metal juts out.

I have even noticed the very same spike on other 1920 pilgrims that I have seen on ebay, some of them professionaly graded. Is this a common or widely known die error to exist in the pilgrim? Is this coin one of the counterfiet pilgrims that I have heard so much about?

I would sure appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this for me

Thanks

jow1980@juno.com

1003117-1920PILGRIM(ebay)showsdiebreak.jpg.ac998373b72109cbae43d4d6dd8749a8.jpg

What you are referring to is a die crack. We have seen it quite a few of these at NGC and we just consider them just a late die state. We do not designate them any different from other Pilgrim coins.