• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crossover Grading Procedure Question

10 posts in this topic

After searching the forum, I understand the crossover grading procedure as follows.

The coin is first looked at to determine if it will cross at the same grade. If so, the coin is broken out and then graded, as if it were a raw submission. At which time it's possible that it may be graded at a higher grade. Correct?

Question is .... During the "raw" grading step, are the graders aware of the grade that was assigned in the origional holder? If so, wouldn't that influence the grading process?

Thanks!

The coin is graded in the holder. The grade on that holder plays no part in the way NGC grades the coin. After the coins grade is determined by NGC then the determination is made if the coin will cross depending on the grade minimum set by the submitter. If the coin will cross, it will cross at that grade or higher. The grade on the holder plays no part in NGC’s grading of the coin, it is the requested minimum placed by the submitter that is the determining factor.

We only accept crossover coins at the same grade or lower. So the answer is no.

This is not consistent with the crossover requirements as stated on your website:"Coins from other grading services are reviewed for NGC certification at the same grade. Coins will not be removed from their holder if they cannot be graded at the same or higher NGC grade." Could you please clarify?

Thanks.

I think you might have confused yourself in reading our website on crossover procedure. Here's a breakdown of scenarios.

Submitter requests coins be crossed at same grade. Normal crossover, if the coin meets our requirements of the same grade or a higher grade, the coin is crossed.

Submitter requests coins be crossed at same grade or lower. Coin will be crossed to NGC holder if the coin meets same grade or down to lowest grade requested by the submitter.

Submitter requests coins be crossed at higher grade. Not allowed, rejected submission.

We only accept crossover coins at the same grade or lower. So the answer is no.

Has there been a change in policy? Following are the posts that formed my origional question:

Crossover process explained

"On a crossover, the coin is first examined in the holder it is sent in to determine if it will cross to our holder. If determined that it will cross, the coin is then cracked out and graded raw just like a raw submission coin. If the coin will not cross, it is then sent back to the submitter.

If the crossed coin is graded higher than the level sent in to crossover (i.e. economy crossover tier that is graded higher now and subsequently valued at a express level tier) would be billed at that level."

Q: "Do crossover coins ever upgrade from the grades given by the other service ? "

A: "Yes."

There are also a number of post with people mentioning they got upgraded on crossover, like this one:

Crossover Upgraded

"I have also had several "regular" crossovers that UPGRADED."

I'm sorry for being thick, but there is just too much conflicting information about this. If the policy/procedure has changed, that's fine. So, one more time, if I may, in simple terms:

Q: If I submit a coin to NGC for crossover, and it's a PCGS MS64, which of the following is possible:

Pick one:

a) NGC will only ever cross it at MS64 or lower, never higher.

b) It's possible NGC may cross it at MS65.

Thanks for your time!

The difference is in the submission part. You may not send (your example) a MS64 PCGS coin requesting it only cross at MS65 or better. If you send it in crossover as MS64 or MS64 or lower, and the coin is a MS65, then we call it a MS65.

Both a and b are correct in your hypothetical question, it's just that you may not send the coin in requesting it grade MS64 or higher, or MS65 or higher in the example given.

A crossover is ok with anything requested being 1) the same grade cross, 2) same grade or lower

Anything else other than those two crossover options are not accepted.

We do not accept crossover at a higher grade due to the liability risk incurred in doing so and we feel the low success rate involved in providing such a service is not something we want to offer our customers.

Thanks,