• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of Greg's That Didn't Make it to E-Bay

38 posts in this topic

Greg has some pretty super stuff being auctioned off this week, but not all the cherries made it there. I bought this one from him today:

2750228-012.jpg

Slurp! yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

This is a wonderful coin with wonderful color. The color has a subdued metallic violet towards the center which on the reverse erupts to deep royal blue towards the rins. Obverse treansitions through the blue to a highlight of golden-brown and orange with a tough of magenta. Technically the coin is equally nice with blazing luster beneath the toning, a bold full strike and lovely clean surfaces.

I've like pre war Japanese coinahge for a while now and have decided to adopt it as a side set to accompany my usual German stuff. For starters, I'd like to get a gem example of each denomination 1 rin - 1 yen. Afterwards we'll see how it goes and decide whether or not to expand into a full type set.

Comments are welcome & thanks Greg!

Hi JamminJ hi.gif

I like your coin. May I have it 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Hi Truth. hi.gif

I would give it to you but I was threatened with grave bodily harm if it left my possession without being routed through the prevuious owner first.

Very pretty coin. And an interesting aside for your collecting endeavors!

You will likely have toyonakataro and others after you, and they may end up making you consider Greg's bodily harm threat more seriously. wink.gif

Hoot

If it weren't for the tarnish, that would be a lovely 50 sen. wink.gif

For starters, I'd like to get a gem example of each denomination 1 rin - 1 yen.

No Trade Dollars or gold ¥5, ¥10 or ¥20?

BTW lots of luck on the 5 rin. They were only minted for four years, and I've never seen one that would grade above AU50. frown.gif

No Trade Dollars or gold ¥5, ¥10 or ¥20?

A trade dollar is a possibility but the gold is probably not in my future. While very attractive my collecting dollar is better put to use elsewhere. I would expand to a type set or a denomination by emperor set way before starting in on the gold.

BTW lots of luck on the 5 rin. They were only minted for four years, and I've never seen one that would grade above AU50. frown.gif

I actually already have a 5 rin:

1958274-035.jpg

Greg has some pretty super stuff being auctioned off this week, but not all the cherries made it there. I bought this one from him today:

Judging from his Egyptian coin's auction, this was a wise decision. sumo.gif

Judging from his Egyptian coin's auction, this was a wise decision. sumo.gif

The auction is still running, just be the high bidder and the coin is yours! poke2.gif

Sure, let me calculate how much is 20xKrause to place my snipe and I'll let you know. 27_laughing.gif

You know James, Egyptian Ottoman silver can be very expensive at times, Heritage recently auctioned a fantastic 20 qirsh, a toned proof crown,super key date for the entire Egyptian series and it sold for over $3K. Unslabbed and very tempting as a world rarity to look at and own it if you're greedy. insane.gif

Sure, let me calculate how much is 20xKrause to place my snipe and I'll let you know. 27_laughing.gif

If this were a Seated Liberty dime, it's still not be at 10X unc catalog. Now, the toning on it would make it easily worth double. Therefore, a bid of $400 should be fair and might win it.

And this is why I'm p@#$%^d off. US monster toned mentality on Darkside coins. screwy.gif

Actually, since US dealers haven't figured this out yet, I like it a lot. I remember the dealer bringing me a box of toned foreign he said he had set aside over the past several years. All of it was beautiful. I think I passed on 2 coins out of the entire box. He had the nerve to price the ones I took at $1-$2 above Krause. 27_laughing.gif

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

I hate you gmarguli.

Unless you cancel the auction and give it to me as an early Xmas gift. cloud9.gif

James sorry for hijacking the thread, it's still about nice coins at least, it could get worse with Greg. wink.gif

I hate you gmarguli.

Unless you cancel the auction and give it to me as an early Xmas gift. cloud9.gif

Sorry, but that wouldn't be fair to the other bidders. Looks like two other forum members were after it also. However, you can bid on the Cochabamba token and I'll throw in free shipping if you win. angel.gif

I hate you gmarguli.

Sorry, but that wouldn't be fair to the other bidders. Looks like two other forum members were after it also. However, you can bid on the Cochabamba token and I'll throw in free shipping if you win. angel.gif

Nobody collects tokens. If they did it wouldn't have to slum in an ICG slab.

I hate you gmarguli.

With comments like that, I'm going to have to mark your coins on the ICG invoices so they know which ones to hammer.

And, NGC will grade this token. It's listed in the Ralau book.

Is this the Davenport of Cochabamba tokens? 27_laughing.gif

However, you can bid on the Cochabamba token and I'll throw in free shipping if you win. angel.gif

Free shipping is not enough, but I'd settle for a free first class return ticket to Bolivia. I'll promise to spend your token in the best bar in town. flowerred.gif

Is this the Davenport of Cochabamba tokens? 27_laughing.gif

Actually, yes. tongue.gif

However, you can bid on the Cochabamba token and I'll throw in free shipping if you win. angel.gif

Free shipping is not enough, but I'd settle for a free first class return ticket to Bolivia. I'll promise to spend your token in the best bar in town. flowerred.gif

Let me think about it and see what I can do. Not much time left in the auction, so bid strong right now and I'll get back to you with an answer shortly after the close.

I hate you gmarguli.

With comments like that, I'm going to have to mark your coins on the ICG invoices so they know which ones to hammer.

Cameronb's been in such a good mood since he started getting laid I'm sure the grades will turn out just fine.

I hate you gmarguli.

Cameronb's been in such a good mood since he started getting laid I'm sure the grades will turn out just fine.

You mean 100% are now MS/PF 70 instead of only 98%?

I hate you gmarguli.

Yup, it's a good time to be an ICG submitter. cloud9.gif

I hate you gmarguli.

How'd you medal only gety a 67? I don't see a hole drilled through it. Net graded for being counterfeit? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I actually already have a 5 rin:

1958274-035.jpg

Now you have me drooling!3.gif

No tarnish either!

If you need one, Northeast Numismatics has several graded examples from MS63RB ($15) to MS66RD ($59).

Nice looking coin, JamminJ

Now that you've already got a nice coin, you surely won't mind me bidding against the 1-Rin on eBay?? wink.gif Seriously, I would have done so if I hadn't one already.

Your 5-Rin also looks nice. I managed to pick up a low unc. at local show, but yours looks much better. thumbsup2.gif

Now that you've already got a nice coin, you surely won't mind me bidding against the 1-Rin on eBay?? wink.gif Seriously, I would have done so if I hadn't one already.

What? Bid anyway. The Rin is awesome. The pictures don't do it justice. Plus free shipping for forum members if the coin sells for over $100. (If JamminJ is the buyer, I'll even hand deliver it in person! thumbsup2.gif)

Your 5-Rin also looks nice. I managed to pick up a low unc. at local show, but yours looks much better. thumbsup2.gif

Would you like to conspire to keep the price down? We'll let it go cheap and then flip a coin or something to decide who gets it. We'll use the hand delivery service so it doens't get "lost" in the mail after selling for $26. thumbsup2.gif

Would you like to conspire to keep the price down? We'll let it go cheap and then flip a coin or something to decide who gets it. We'll use the hand delivery service so it doens't get "lost" in the mail after selling for $26. thumbsup2.gif

Auction price fixing is a federal crime. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I do not offer hand delivery on special coins. I write the address on one side of the slab and stick a stamp on the other. If it fails to arrive, I will refund your $26 - provided you purchased insurance.

Now, realistically, this coin is going to sell for $75-$125. Bid early, bid high, and bid often. It's worth it.