• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a pic of a 1917 coin, in honor of the White Sox first Series win since 1917

21 posts in this topic

Thank you, chinook, for the very kind words about this coin! smile.gif As for Michael's 1917 matte proof, I can save you the gas money and let you know that he already shipped it to me so I could take some images. I hope that baby doesn't get lost! wink.gif

Hello Folks----Not too good with pictures---My wife, Barb, and I are working a little with the digital camera. In the meantime, I hope these scanner pictures of this Walker come thru OK. All these SLQ are beautiful but I thought a nice 'original skinned' Walker might encourage others to put their coins on for us to view. Bob [supertooth]

986025-1917WalkerObv.PlainMS.jpg.875602c56b4c60aceb6b1c8df179acd8.jpg

Wow, Bob, your coin is absolutely gorgeous! It looks to have quite attractive and heavier patina nestled around the devices and this makes for a special coin.

THANKS IGWT------That is why I like the NGC boards. You fellas here will tolerate an old dummy like me. Barb keeps promising that she will do more with me. I take her at her word. My Karen will do the web page, I hope, when she gets home for the holidays. I am just all thumbs with these machines but I will try to get better. And Tom B----yes, it is beautiful in hand. Another Ebay purchase. If all the early Walkers could be found like this one? Would that not be a wonderful set? With each one that I get, I feel priviledged indeed to have found it. But here again---you only seem to find one at a time. Sometimes I do wonder if anyone really collected a genuine full set of these "original" coins in the early years? Or if the money was truly sooooo tight that almost no one person could afford to put them aside? In any event, this coin will go into an NGC holder shortly. And at least while I own it, it will be safe from harm. Thanks again IGWT---good buddy. Bob [supertooth]

All the coins in this thread are superb. I do not currently own a piece from this year - not even a buffalo nickel! I did, however, once own a coin that I now regret selling...

mossy...

986787-1917-D25ctype1MS64FH02-223.jpg

In-hand, this was a superbly original piece with toning that resembled the moss of a pleasant forest floor.

Hoot

986787-1917-D25ctype1MS64FH02-223.jpg.392727eb9a4eac457f4dd4d86f204c2f.jpg

My Friend Hoot-----Strange that you should be talking moss on a forest floor. What a "super" SLQ----How on earth could you let it go? A true "original beauty". But today, while bowhunting, I was thinking of a particular buck that I saw about this time last year. Had the most deeply colored "ebony" antlers that I have ever seen in almost 40 years of being in the woods. I happened to think of this post and how that deer's horns reminded me of another 1917 Walker that I have. Then, when you mentioned the moss on the forest floor, I just had to post this coin as well. Maybe IGWT or someone else would be kind enough to fix the pictures for me again. As you all know, I am partial to "original skinned" Walkers. This is about as ebony as it gets. Just the exact color of that deer's antlers. I was at 35 yards last year but never got an open shot. The Creator saved His deer that day---but allowed Bob the priviledge of seeing such a "unique" creature. Bob [supertooth]

986945-1917WalkerMS-62002.jpg.82823336b5510b168639346afef5ce73.jpg