• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An independent evaluation of 70 material?

7 posts in this topic

As more and more 70 material comes out, what do you think about an group studying and evaluating the quality of these 70’s material?

In there evaluation, the group would come up with objective guidelines for why PCGS or NGC placed these coins in a 70 holder. Then produce a document showing the similarities and contrasts between the two main grading services and provide new guidelines for both services to use for future 70 material.

We would like to be part of this group. If you would let to part as well, PM or Email me.

Todd

Todd,

That sounds interesting. One of the problems that you will run into is that PCGS for a time, holdered many coins as PR-70DC which were not 70's by their published standards, and now we see many of these coins on the market with obvious flaws. Those PR-70 Ikes are probably the most notorious example.

Personally, I have a problem with a coin getting a 70 to begin with, and even more so of one with the 70 grade being so semmingly easily obtained lately. I think a 70 should be possible, but AMAZINGLY rare. The 1963 cent that's graded as a 70 DCAM that sold for so much and has gotten a bunch of coin-media attention at least by the pics I've seen is NOT a 70 coin and I'll lay bets that say that it will NEVER be cracked out, but will sell based on the label from this day forward.

Yes, it's been good for the hobby as a fad for getting new blood and people into the "game", but the submarket is going to collapse when everyone takes a second look at the grading definitions and realizes that even though the label may say 70, there's no real way it should have been graded a 70.

I lose a bit of trust in a company that deals out the "ultimate grade" as easily as they have been.

Especally PCI I have seen hundreds of these coins and only about 5% and probably less should be given that high of a grade. And as always buy the coin not the holder!

great idea Todd. Have quite a few (30+), for me anyway, NGC 70's and would be happy to contribute in any way i can. Whether it be supplying the group with a coin (s) or participating in anyway I can. TG