• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT ?

12 posts in this topic

Yes, the coin is AT. Im sure Tom B. or another tone head will post here later on and explain the tell tale signs far better than I can but, notice how the colors appear to lay on the coins surface? Also look at the blue near 2'oclock and notice how abruptly it fades into greens. True toning will slowly fade into colors, you just dont see green then all the sudden yellow. Anyways, Sorry I cant explain it all that great (im not a huge tone head) but as I said earlier, wait till Tom B, Tonelover or Mark S can explain it to you better. Outta curosity, where is it for sale? ebay? seller?

It was for sale on eBay, months ago. The seller, whom I probably wouldn't mention if I knew it (and am too lazy to look it up in completed auctions) sells lots of coins that "look" like this one.

At any rate, I'd grade it P.U. and not bid - I just hate seeing others get taken on these blow torched coins (assuming that's what it is).

I think the toning is a little more complex that just "heat", it looks like chemical. I did some experiments w/ AT, and I seem to remember sulfur very often produces beautiful blues for me (much like the ones in the photo).

ALL coin toning is baked one. It's our little joke, the Comic-people, that we perpertrate on you Coinees. We hit out pocket change with a blow-torch, leave the coins out in a pail of water, exposed to the elements (or bury them in the wet soil to RUST, we sell them to YOU, disguised as Coin dealers, and then laugh like a bunch of deranged hyenaes about it!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

In my opinion, the bottom half is real toning while the upper half of the coin has had a chemical applied. These days, the toning of choice is 'enhancement', taking a partially toned coin which is pretty, and applying chemicals or heat to make the entire coin appear originally toned. The bottom toning appears as if it came from a Wayte Raymond holder, while the blues and greens appear to be applied much later. To me, the obvious murky, dark toning on the right side of the coin is a telltale give away of AT.

TRUTH