• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Need Collection Motivation.

14 posts in this topic

I have the coin blues, having sold almost all of my gold collection and most other nonessential slab sets. I am left with a few completed and almost compete type sets, and a mint year set I can't find decent gold specimens to finish collecting the last (4) coins in my 1910 Mint Set. I am willing to pay the money, but can't find the coins. I also retained a completed 20th century gold Type Set. The Signature Set variety of this will be augmented by some interesting scarce date coins that may be lower (AU) grades with collector appeal (i.e. CC Gold).

I would like to do a partial pre-1900 Quarter Eagle set, just because many dates are so challenging in MS grades. I probably would never finish the set but it would keep me off the streets and keep my bank statements very lean. Anyhow, I will sort this out sooner or later.

Charlie,

I would recommend some Classic Head gold from the 1830's, i.e. the 2 1/2 and 5 dollar gold. They are still reasonably priced and have historic dates.

Victor: That is a good suggestion for two reasons. Firstly, they are mostly scarce issues in AU or higher and secondly they are still (as you said) relatively reasonably priced, based on scarcity. They also are a collecting challenge. I don't think I want to start any more date, registry sets but having some nice examples in my collection would be great. Plus, I can always place them into a Signature Set. Thanks.

Another area of interest that is sort of appealing is the pre-1879 "S" Mint Quarter Eagles. In AU, they are scarce and still relatively affordable. Plus some nice ones are available with a little patience.

flowerred.gif

i would try full red roman finish proof 1909 matte lincoln cents cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

and also 1909-1916 red brown and brown matte proof lincoln cents that aRE wildly colored and vibrant thumbsup2.gif

truly underapprecaited 893applaud-thumb.gif value hail.gif opportunity coins thumbsup2.gif with a tremendous reason to rise in demand and also with much history and collectibility

Actually, I need some Capped Bust Dimes for a type set. Also Michael, IMHO you are absolutely correct in your assessment of Matte Proof Lincoln's. I will keep it in mind but I think right now, gold is motivating me more. That does always seems to be my bottom line, doesn't it.

I come by it honestly. My dad was a gold mining developer in Canada and friend of Jim Blanchard, plus my brother is a consulting Geologist (M.S.Geol. from McGill) for several Canadian gold mines. I guess it runs in my blood.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

gold is motivating me more. That does always seems to be my bottom line, doesn't it.

I come by it honestly. My dad was a gold mining developer in Canada and friend of Jim Blanchard, plus my brother is a consulting Geologist (M.S.Geol. from McGill) for several Canadian gold mines. I guess it runs in my blood.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I always liked the 1880's quarter eagles. Those seem to be a nice but do-able challenge. You can get 'em as nice as your budget and or patience will permit, and due to their lower mintages in several of the years, they hold their value pretty well.

• Administrator

I love that the registry is enhancing your collecting by helping share your structured sets in the competitive categories, but also aiding and abetting your creative collecting spirit with the Signature Sets. It's just what we hoped the Signature Sets would do for people!

All of the Quarter Eagles issued from the 1880's up until 1993 are pretty challenging to find. I think that this is an overlooked scarcity area for collectors. Even the more common dates sfter 1893 can be tough to find in MS63 or above.

signature sets are a faNTASTIC idea and fior me the backbone of the registry concept

well oldtrader gold is i think fantastic idea especially so pre 1933 numismatic gold! ui think excellent value opportunity coinage but you will need to pick something thawt you love in the gold coinage

a decade type set of xf to choice au threes?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif proof gold coinage?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

matte or brilliant?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

maybe some early classic head gold coins early 1830's 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

other?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey Cahrlie - Have a look at my signature set and see what you think (link in my sig line). I'd imagine that you could put together a nice set there. There are some mightily challenging pieces to go in that set.

Hoot

Hoot: You are correct about the challenges in your signature set. There are many and some are major challenges. I can't touch many of your varieties, especially since I broke up my USA Type Set. Plus, you have added the challenge of some EAC's to the mix. It will be an awesome set! You also are getting into the realm of early gold which will add some additional difficulty. I will keep checking in on it to see how you are doing.

Are you going to try to collect the southern gold MM's from this period as well? If so, you are really getting in deeply.