• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any coins lost in USPS Registered Mail ?

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

Since I have been here at NGC I have not heard of one package being lost sent via USPS Registered mail. From my experience here and in the past, this is the safest form of mailing rare coins.

Thanks,

Registered mail is handled separately from other mail and, according to the Postal Service representative with whom I spoke, kept under lock and key with signature accountability on transfer from one Postal Service custodian to the next. Therefore, loss would either have to be from outright theft (e.g. someone steals a USPS vehicle and breaches the Registered Mail container) or internal malfeasance. Since an audit trail exists, the latter (though possible) is unlikely.

This is my understanding from speaking with USPS folks. I am not myself a USPS employee, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

wink.gif

Beijim