• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is up with the ANA???

10 posts in this topic

I got my new issue of Coin World today, and read the front page article about the governor that was removed for I guess having shared some confidential information with a member, but there were no details. Then I read two rather concerning editorials on the ANA, including a somewhat scathing editorial by Beth Deisher on the shenanigans at the ANA Board over the last few years, and it was not a pretty picture. There was also an op ed by Anthony Tumonis critical of the ANA basically renting out their name for the Las Vegas show. Many of you know I am somewhat skeptical of the ANA, but these developments are not good for the one organization established to represent collectors and promote our shared hobby. All the secrets and politics can't be a positive for the organization or collectors. So what is up with the ANA???

The ANA was a club for insiders for many years. They just kept renominating themselves for governance positions. Some of those people are dead now. A couple past ANA executives (who shall remain nameless) have left me cold after dealing with them. I quit for 10 years or so, being fed up with the organization. I rejoined this year and am feeling it out again.

Some of those people are dead now.

I could make a strong argument the ones running the show now are in a similar catatonic state. I quit the ANA years ago and don't ever intend on going back.

jom

All I know is I joined the ANA, for the first time, back in the mid-eighties, received only the first two magazines and nothing after that (no, I hadn't moved). I didn't continue with my dues after that first year. crazy.gif

I then re-joined around 1996, promptly received the first two magazines and nothing after that. When I received a request for an additional year's worth of dues (nice to know they hadn't lost my address when it came time to ask for money) I threw it all out.

That's my experience with the ANA. confused-smiley-013.gif

To say the least I'm a bit suprised at the things you all are saying. I know that every orginization has their issues but I didn't know there was such negativity torwards the ANA. I myself have been a member for a few years now and have had no problems whatsoever,recieved all of my issues of the Numismatist and have had an all around pleasent experince. I have had the pleasure of talking with the president and two of the governers at shows and my impression from speaking with them was their love for the hobby and a passion for keeping it safe.What am I missing? confused.gif

-Hayden

I received the first two issues and now I don't know if I will get any others. The third issue is past due. Oh well, I was right the first time (when I quit).

My membership is due this month and I shan't be renewing. If you recall my complaint against John Paul Sarosi, I never received nary an answer nor resolution from the ANA for my complaint.

I got my new issue of Coin World today, and read the front page article about the governor that was removed for I guess having shared some confidential information with a member, but there were no details. Then I read two rather concerning editorials on the ANA, including a somewhat scathing editorial by Beth Deisher on the shenanigans at the ANA Board over the last few years, and it was not a pretty picture. There was also an op ed by Anthony Tumonis critical of the ANA basically renting out their name for the Las Vegas show. Many of you know I am somewhat skeptical of the ANA, but these developments are not good for the one organization established to represent collectors and promote our shared hobby. All the secrets and politics can't be a positive for the organization or collectors. So what is up with the ANA???

On Collector's Universe forum, a subject like this one was posted - quite interesting - Is there any truth to the CW Editorial about the Secrecy at the ANA? - I would also mention that Dave Harper wrote a very interesting editorial in Numismatic News which after reading it I have to agree to him - Dave Haper's Editorial. thumbsup2.gif