• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Needed: Die Cracks 101

12 posts in this topic

Die breaks, in many cases, add to the desirability of the coin, depending on how deep the collector base for that series is. Some are quite rare, others are very common. I am pretty sure that NGC or any service, for that matter, would not BB a coin because it was struck with a broken die. Hope this helps.

Die cracks will not cause a coin to get bodybagged. That's the way the coin was made.

And I think CONSERVATIVE meant to say

If you have a proof die crack that you want to sell then you can hope that the premiums skyrocket.

Some are so minor that, on a modern proof coin, some people would see it as a desirable error while others would call it a distracting defect.

Proof die cracks (especially modern proof) bring decent premiums. Business strike die cracks will bring a premium if it is a famous die variety, but the cracks will often add little value (a few bucks), no value, or occasionally devalue (especially early coinage) a coin.

no value, or occasionally devalue (especially early coinage) a coin.

I find it the total oppsite. The "older" collectors are more interested in the strike and find the cracks as an added bonus. I have several same date coins that are merly diffrent die states of the same crack, infact i have 6 1839 g.101 (shattered rev) seated dime, and several 1842 g.101 (obv cud) all are diffrent stages in the die and each of them cost me a substantial premi. There are also several "non variety" die cracks/shattered rev/obs coins that will sell for large premis.