• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ignorant but necessary question

9 posts in this topic

Yes. On eBay, the Mint wrapped rolls sell at a premium from what they initially sold for directly from the Mint (about $35 a roll). The year 2000 rolls sell for the least, but the 2001 through 2003 rolls sell for twoice or more of what they sold for initially.

Hoot

Thank you for your very quick answer... I wasn't asking cause I was planning on selling, I just had forgotten I had those in the Safe..

Is there anything I should know with the 2000series from both mints? I have some unrolled as well..

Thanks,

JammnIT

Since the millennium year of 2000 was so monumental, lots of coins were saved at the time and were widely released by the mint. This means that they are the lowest priced rolls of the series.

Is there anything I should know with the 2000series from both mints? I have some unrolled as well..

Thanks,

JammnIT

If you have any 2000-P that came from circulation, you might want to check for the 12-tail feather variety. There were only 5500 of them produced (in 1999) and they were distributed in Cheerios boxes for the Millennium celebration beginning January, 2000. You will not find them in U.S. Mint or original, bank-wrapped rolls.

The 12TF variety can be identified by a raised ridge (the spine of the feather) running through the middle of the tail. In this design, the central tail feather looks wider than the others. In 2000, before production of the business strikes began, the design was changed eliminating the spine to represent 13 tail feathers. (Now, the spine appears as a recess separating two feathers.) Several articles were written about this "Discovery Coin", the first of which was in CoinAge, June, 2005. The Mint continued to deny the very existence of this coin. Pat Braddick, one of the members here, is credited with having the first of these coins authenticated and graded by NGC.

It would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack, but you never know. Actually, you would probably have better luck trying to find MS70's in the OBW rolls. That, in itself, would be one heck of an accomplishment!

Chris

Here is a sample of a couple of 2000-P I have, but I wouldn't think they were 1 of the 5500 frrom Kellogs. I remember reading about that.. Also wasn't there some type of misprint on one of the State issue quarters.... South Carolina comes to mind, but I have Uncirc. sets by state with Stamps from the same area/era etc...

If you can add any creedance to the Statehood quarters issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

th_Sak2000-P_F.jpg

th_Sak2000-P_B.jpg

Here is a sample of a couple of 2000-P I have, but I wouldn't think they were 1 of the 5500 frrom Kellogs. I remember reading about that.. Also wasn't there some type of misprint on one of the State issue quarters.... South Carolina comes to mind, but I have Uncirc. sets by state with Stamps from the same area/era etc...

If you can add any creedance to the Statehood quarters issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

th_Sak2000-P_F.jpg

th_Sak2000-P_B.jpg

There have been a variety of errors reported on States Quarters, but I don't recall any misprint. The only error I recall on the SC 25c was the "extra twig" on the reverse. Maybe someone else has knowledge of a misprint.

Chris