• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mid 80s Washington tone

2 posts in this topic

I had picked up some particularly well struck Washingtons 1989 while traveling and wrapped them in tissue till I returned home. Well, I forgot them and the years went by and they have some spectacular toning now. So the question is, have they been artificially toned?

The determining factor for "artificial toning" is not as much the method of gaining the color as the appearance of the color itself. No one but you can say for certain how the color formed, but any expert could judge the toning. Experience is the best way to determine artificial color.

The appearance of the color will determine whether a coin has artificial or natural toning. Unusual color combinations as well as bright colors are frequent signs of artificial toning. A smoky or opaque appearance the color is frequently a sign of artificial color as is color that completely hides defects such as contact marks or hairlines. These are just a couple of the clues to look for when trying to determine artificial color.

Chris, NCS