• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unlisted Error Wheat Penny

2 posts in this topic

I went into a Dealer about a week ago and purchased several coins, Mostly silver, and a 1953 Wheat Penny which the Dealer had Marked as a "Doubled D" is this Coin an error that slipped past the Mint in 1953, or is it fake? I believe that it is a D/D But I'm not completely sure.

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

JDunlap.

It sounds like you got yourself a Repunched Mint Mark. The coin may need to be examined for sure but a Repunched Mint Mark or RPM for short, is when the mint mark punch used to stamp each die with the letter the mint is from, ie D for Denver, is stamped more then once with shift between the punches. Repunched Mink Marks can either be common or scarce depending on the die. For 1953 NGC recognizes only one RPM for now which is listed as FS-021.73 in the Cherrypickers’ Guide or as RPM-001 in CONECA’s Guide. CONECA currently lists 29 different RPMs in their guide for 1953 however NGC will only note FS-021.73.