• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Pack joins growing new Bowers organization

17 posts in this topic

John Pack has now left CU / Bowers & Merena and has joined "American Numismatic Rarities, LLC" which is basically QDB's enitre former team. They can be found on the web at Reincarnation of B&M . laugh.gif The Bowers name does not appear anywhere, as he is probably under non-compete restrictions. blush.gif

You get the same page for www.americannumismaticrarities.com as you do for www.americancoinrarities.com

Their first auction is planned for July 2003 in Baltimore, in conjunction with the ANA (at which Bowers & Merena, the CU subsidiary no longer inhabited by any of Dave's team, is the official auctioneer of the convention).

grin.gif

Sunnywood

Yes, that's all they have up for now ... but I'm sure they are working hard at building a new website. My guess is that they will focus initially on the auction business, and not try to do retail right away.

Sunnywood

That's easy to answer:

1) They summarily dismissed Dave Bowers; and

2) They planned to shut down the Wolfeboro, NH operation and move everyone ... how many long-time residents of the small New England town of Wolfeboro, New Hampshire do you think would suddenly want to move to California or Louisiana ????

Sunnywood

Wolfeboro, New Hampshire is, by the way, a great little town. On Lake Winnepesaukee. We used to boat or snowmobile across the lake to Wolfeboro for ice cream or hamburgers. There used to be a great hamburger joint there called Wolfeburgers.

Okay, this post wasn't about coins. But the mention of Wolfeboro brought back some great memories grin.gif.

Beijim

And I suppose that we "Downeastaa's" and other northern New Englandaa's don't talk funny? tongue.gif

I am glad to see Dave and the Gang back. I was getting desperate for an auction site to feed my Trime and Gold mania. I have refused to do business with "The Great One" particularly after the way he treated Dave and his people. Besides, I was tired of the "world according to DH" diatribes on the PCGS site anyway. I wonder if Mark Borchardt is going to leave B&M? He certainly would be an asset to QDB's new company.

Beijim,

Thanks for that post about Wolfeboro !!! That's the kind of story that makes my heart pine for true America ... I've been living in New York City way too long, and I miss my years at prep school in New Hampshire !!!!

Sunnywood

Thanks for that post about Wolfeboro !!!

My pleasure. When I first became acquainted with the fact that David Bowers worked out of Wolfeboro, I must admit my first thought was, "OUR Wolfeboro?" It seemed incongruous that such a small New Hampshire town would be host to such an important numismatist and his business! Now I kinda like the idea, and am gratified to see that much of the former Bowers staff are defecting.

Regards,

Beijim

I think instead of firing Bowers and relocating B & M, CU should have sold B & M to Bowers for whatever they could get. CU also should have sold off the non-coin-related business and changed its name to PCGS.