• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ripped Off

2 posts in this topic

Joined to try conservation and grading service. Wish I had keeped my money.

Coins that I have never touched came back improperly cleaned and some had been stored 60+ years. Was to have free service for joining and was charged

$50.00 over what they said coupons were werth.Will try some other grading service.

I am sorry you were not able to find NCS services useful. One of the benefits to sending coins in for NCS Details Grading is that those that will not grade with a major grading service such as NGC will still be authenticated and encapsulated in a similar holder to that of a major grading service. Many collectors, unsure if their coins have surface impairments that will prevent NGC from certifying them, have used the NCS encapsulation service to receive the best possible holders for their coins. Those coins that will grade with NGC will be transferred and certified in regular NGC holders and those with surface problems that otherwise would be returned in “bodybags” will be instead authenticated and encapsulated with a details grade in NCS holders.

When a coin is deemed “improperly cleaned” or any of the other surface problem statements, it is not an accusation. The graders are not implying that you altered the surface of your coin, it is a statement of what the coin is. The coin has a surface impairment that would not be acceptable in the marketplace as a problem-free coin. Standards of cleaning have not always been as they are today. In decades past, it was more acceptable to clean coins leaving the surfaces impaired to what we would call today improper cleaning. The cleaning may have taken place long before the coin came under your care.

I hope this helps with some of your frustration. If you have any specific concerns, feel free to contact us directly at 866-627-2646 or ncshelp@ncscoin.com.

Chris, NCS