• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My newest coin plus bonus picture

8 posts in this topic

Just arrived yesterday and I like it. I thought I would share the pics with y'all. I've also learned a new technique with photos so I have been experimenting. Both of these use that technique. Still learning how to use it well but what do you think?

1825%2050C%20os.jpg

1825%2050c%20rs.jpg

1899%201C%20os.jpg

1899%201C%20rs.jpg

Nice coins, great pics. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I really like the bust half, lots of detail in the stars on your half, especially the ones on the right, I see so many even in MS grades have all flat top stars.

I like your coins, especially the cent, and the photos. Not that I should talk (becuase I still have not done well with digital photography of coins), but what you should work on is providing more contrast across the coin in order to emphasize the depth of the devices. The photos are well lit, but a little flat. You're well on your way Neil!

Hoot

Well, so much of the issue is how each person's monitor is calibrated. At home where I make the pics I use a properly calibrated monitor, adjusting for the lighting. So on mine there is good contrast. But it's the universal bane of pictures. Also the half doesn't have much luster.

As for how I did these, I used a new technique I learned in Photoshop called high definition response. I took 5 pictures of each side with different stops and then combined them together and adjusted the result to match the original. It's a cool technique but I'm still learning how to use it correctly.

Well, so much of the issue is how each person's monitor is calibrated. At home where I make the pics I use a properly calibrated monitor, adjusting for the lighting. So on mine there is good contrast. But it's the universal bane of pictures. Also the half doesn't have much luster.

As for how I did these, I used a new technique I learned in Photoshop called high definition response. I took 5 pictures of each side with different stops and then combined them together and adjusted the result to match the original. It's a cool technique but I'm still learning how to use it correctly.

Dang,it's amazing how much stuff you can do to just one coin when it comes to photography.Mind boggling 893whatthe.gif

So much for point and shoot... sign-rantpost.gif

Nice coins and great pictures! Love the Bust half! 893applaud-thumb.gif

-Hayden

Yeah, this is one thing that PNS or SLR can benefit from. It's all about capturing the whole range of a coin. The human eye can sense a greater dynamic range than the camera. So with this you take a pic for highlights, one for shadows, one for midtones, etc. and then combine them to approximate the range the eye sees.