• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Beach Purchases

7 posts in this topic

Just two coins purchased for my collection from the Long Beach show. I had expected to have a half dozen more, but I got blown away at the auctions.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures.

A 1573 German (Lubeck) taler. The obverse features St. John holding the Lamb of God. The reverse has the imperial eagle. There were two similar talers in the Heritage auction that I was interested in, but both ended up selling for strong money. This one was a bargain.

lubeck-taler.jpg

A 1643 German (Metz) taler. The obverse features St. Stephen and the reverse the city arms.

metz-thaler.jpg

Also picked up the Friedberg book of world gold coins.

I also got creamed in the auctions.

One day I'll have to teach you how to take photos as those coins are far better than they appear on my screen. confused-smiley-013.gif

If you could only have one, which would it be? I'd take the Lubuck.

I scanned them. I'm really tired and didn't feel like taking pictures. Perhaps I'll take better pictures later.

I'd also take the lubeck. The obverse design is wonderful.

Who didn't? Some of the Heritage lots sold for extraordinary amounts.

You know Greg,your collection looks very similar to JJ's or vice versa. Have you ever thought of merging them into one? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Are more litesides migrating to the Dark? Or is it just a matter of favorable exchange rates for Europeans?

The exchange rate has been more or less constant for a while. I'm pretty sure more people are migrating.

You know Greg,your collection looks very similar to JJ's or vice versa. Have you ever thought of merging them into one? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

While there's quite a bit of overlap, Greg persues a "neat design" strategy while I go more for historical themes.