• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lets talk about error coins, and the collector!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 posts in this topic

the collector of error coinage is, well, different! yeah thats right! I said different!! A large majority of collectors could care less about simple die cracks. such as myself! as far as im concerned, they are not worth my time to add to my collection. and they would not make any contribution to my collection!

Now, on the flip side. double die errors are very sought after. I personally posses a 1972 dd lincoln in my collection. does it compare to simple, small die cracks??

To me, ,,,, NO. but to a few, it does. believe it or not, there are people out there who like that type of coinage! and thats the way it is......

which brings me to conclude that if someone is selling such items, for what purpose should many of you be so harsh about it??????????

why??????????????

what do you care, if someone has something for sale that you dont?? Is it because you dont want it? or is it because you dont like it???? or is it because it was given a stupid name??? WELL???? WHAT DO YOU CARE??????

WE are all collectors!!! WE are all of the same!! WE are all part of the NUMISMATIC SOCIETY. no matter what level the collector is at, we are one!!

WHAT DO YOU THINK???????????????? grin.gif

MIKE

dont forget! collect proof sets!! grin.giftongue.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

For the record, die cracks are not errors, they are merely a progression of die deterioration. A person who has no interest in the history of die steel and forging, and coin minting process changes - should simply not collect coins with die cracks.

I consider myself a numismatist and I care! If he were finding and pooping crack on Barbie dolls, I wouldn't care. If he was on the Barbie doll boards with his junk, I wouldn't care. If he was selling his PP die crack Barbie on ebay for $100,000.00, I wouldn't care.

He has been given much information on die cracks and also error coins, on the boards. He refuses to listen, he refuses to learn. As was stated above die cracks aren't really errors. They are however somewhat rare on proof coins. Especially the massave spiked head on the 2002 Kennedy half. Parasite's Minute Man proof die crack is also somewhat scarce as well. It isn't worth $100,000.00 as he spammed the ebay and CU coin boards with. If he wants to push die cracks, let him push die cracks. But misrepresenting them is different.

We also don't need his childish vulgar fetish with bodily functions. He needs to go to Comedy Central with that!!! That is not wanted or accepted here. IMO...

I see your problem, it starts with your username. You are talking Banknotes on a coin forum. Your username should be Bankcoin not Banknote. You need to grow up and learn to adapt to the ever changing evolution of the numismatic business. Whith all these different coins coming out there is bound to be many different varities. Mello out some.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

For the record, die cracks are not errors, they are merely a progression of die deterioration. A person who has no interest in the history of die steel and forging, and coin minting process changes - should simply not collect coins with die cracks.

Absolutely correct!!! An error is when a mint employee makes a mistake, a die developing a crack is not a mint employee mistake it is just a die coming to the end of its life. Now if you want to see a real die crack then get a coin with a real die crack.

32-120s.jpg

An error is when a mint employee makes a mistake, a die developing a crack is not a mint employee mistake it is just a die coming to the end of its life. Now if you want to see a real die crack then get a coin with a real die crack.

I agree with the statement about the employee making a mistake but disagree with the die coming apart before the end of its life. The error occurs when the employee does not change the die before the end of its life. That is also an error.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

That’s a very nice example of a major die crack!

Some of the most dramatic die cracks I have ever seen have been on world coins. This is a 1920 2 amani gold coin from Afghanistan that has four die cracks, three of which are clearly visible with the fourth not being visible due to the lighting I guess. I think the die must have fallen apart not to long after this coin was struck!

John

589a8adb8588c_143031-diecrack.jpg.b7b08dec3e44ce68c6f66bf00e3c7c4a.jpg

well, thanks to everyone who replyed to this thread!!

I however am a bit dissapointed in all of you for not admitting the fact that i had stated in the beginning. That we are all the same, COLLECTORS!

oh well!!

mike

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I don't care much for minor die cracks but I do own some. Double Dies are cool but I'm not much of a variety collector but I do like major striking errors like this die cap I attached. smile.gif

589a8adb87b2c_144311-5655964obv.jpg.339bb036b514a54710a5e6d5cab5d267.jpg

Msmhappy basically asked why we are critisizing Parasite about his die cracked coins. I dont know how the others on the board feel about this, but I am not critisizing die cracks, I am critisizing Parasite and his business practices.

Also, I personally consider die cracks errors, worthless errors, but errors none the less. RotatedRainbows said that a die crack is not an error because it is not a mistake of a mint employee. If that were the case, die clashing, clipped planchets, and almost any Striking Division error would not be an error as it is not an error of a mint employee. So then, why are die cracks considered errors, well first of all, the literal definition of error is "something produced by mistake". I have never heard of the mint intentionally making coins with die cracks. Also, die cracks are considered Die Varieties, and any abnormal Die Variety produced after the original designing of the coin is considered an error. Therefore, die cracks should be considered errors.

I think we are putting too much empahsis on how unvaluable and minor die cracks are, but they still are errors regardless.

thanks carter! your right! they are errors!

undisirable errors to most of us, yet, they are still errors!

I still cant find anyone to admit that we are all the same, COLLECTORS!!!

mike

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Mike,

I will say it. We are all collectors, and I have always said people should collect whatever it is that makes them happy. After all it is your time and money you are putting out. If you want to collect only the best of mint state coins great, good for you. If you want to collect coins with minor die cracks, go ahead and knock yourself out. I don’t think the issue is with people not wanting to admit that we are all collectors. I think the issue is that people are feed up with trolling posts that serve no purpose.

John

The confusion arises because most error collectors fall under the S catagory and disregard the P & D catagory, which is understandable because the D catagory generally means varities like doubled dies or repunched & over mint marks and the P catagory is usually dismissed as planchet flaws or defects by serious "normal" collectors.

Errors fall under 3 catagories using the PDS system;

P= planchet

D= die

S = striking

That's a cool crack Wihlborg posted. Here's my favorite crack on attachment; 97 SAE-splitting Liberty's head down to her belly button. This is really rare though not really valuable.

144499-crack.jpg.92fd57a32ac65decfacb55e7a7b1485a.jpg

AT LAST!!!!!!! thankyou! grin.gif its so nice to here someone say it!!!!!!

and I agree! to each his or her own. whatever you want to collect in coins is up to you! and i hope everyone has a great time doing it!!!!! THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!

and just for the record! the P.S. i allways put after a post which says;

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!. is just a simple reminder to everyone that proof sets were made specificly for collecting. I personally collect all U.S. coinage and they do not have to be proof. I try to keep it above a fine (F) condition.

thanks again, mike

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Mike,

You’re so happy I feel like I did my good deed for the day! smile.gif

My main interest is in mint state US coins, but I also have a very large collection (600+ coins) of world coins, which do not seem to get the attention that US coin do. But I don’t care; there are so many rare and beautiful issues of world coins that sell for pennies on the dollar compared to US coins. I have coins with mintages of a few hundred. Could you imagine owning a US coin with a mintage like that? So you see, as the saying goes ‘to each his own’

John

I am happy, and, I'm glad to here you addmit your part of the NUMISMATIC SOCIETY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS AGAIN

mike

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I find error coins fascinating but never really collected them since many are quite scarce and expensive. One can learn a great deal just by looking at a simple off-center coin. Scratches in the planchet tend to end where they meet the die. When they do extend into the struck portion they are nearly obliterated. I always look at the errors for the lessons they teach.

Varieties, on the other hand, seem to be as important as the date or mint. Take a scarcer issue like the 1974 reverse of '72 quarter. It seems as though this is as legitimate an issue and as important as any date in the series. It is unlike any other of the '74 quarters so it should be included in the set. Same way with all major varieties, especially those which are dramatic and seen easily like the type "d" reverses. In a sense this also applies to coins like Double Dies and OMM's and the like. Here one is collecting examples of the various dies: What does it matter if the difference is in the date or the number of visible hubbings? To each his own, but I've always felt a set should include all the major varieties and while I'm at it, it's fun to find the minor varieties also.

I even collect transportation and other tokens by variety.

thats what im talking about!!!! Have fun collection coins!! No matter the type!

Just collect coins!!!!!!!!

thanks mike

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

parasite! you are a child! just as my fellow collectors said.

PLEASE DONOT REPLY TO MY THREADS ANY MORE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike

dont forget! collect proofsets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Errors are great! I own many 'offcenters'and 'Broadstrikes' most are raw but a few are in slabs (ANACS).I like to take a few to coin shows just to show them off.Been collecting them for many years.

I was responding to the general thread JERK.It's kids like you that ruin the fun of posting on boards but I've been treated worse and had worse things said to me so I'll keep on posting in spite of you and just consider the source.Have a nice day little one.