• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1870cc $20 seven bids

7 posts in this topic

I only wish that I could be outbid on this rarity.

I expect that the high bid will surpass the AU50 that Heritage sold 2 years ago. Link

BTW, how does Heritage “create” the appearance of luster on coins such as the 1870-CC $20 AU50? Is it a matter of lighting or manipulation of colors through image editing software, eg, Photoshop?

BTW, how does Heritage “create” the appearance of luster on coins such as the 1870-CC $20 AU50? Is it a matter of lighting or manipulation of colors through image editing software, eg, Photoshop?

I sincerely doubt that HNA manipulates pix to appear better than they really are. Over the years I only wished that they would photoshop some of their pix as I believe they used to scan most of the coins rather than using a camera. If it shows luster then the coin has luster.

If you look at the images of the same coin, you can see a difference in the color. Link

I am curious how this difference is generated. One possibility is through lighting when capturing the image and another is by changing the overall color, hue or temperature of the image to appear more lustrous and less dull. I am not saying that specific details of the coin are “doctored.”

I believe one set of images is a scan and the other is an actual photograph. Personally, I don't see any luster on the coin. It looks cleaned to me and that gives it some "shine".

Of course, I know nothing about old gold (and not much about new gold) so I could be wrong.

I believe one set of images is a scan and the other is an actual photograph. Personally, I don't see any luster on the coin. It looks cleaned to me and that gives it some "shine".

Of course, I know nothing about old gold (and not much about new gold) so I could be wrong.

Have to agree with you RGT, Something just doesn't look "natural". Maybe its just the photo? confused.gif