• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mint error service for early commems

15 posts in this topic

Over the past year, I have found the Mint error designation to be quite a bit more difficult to obtain on NGC submissions than on PCGS submissions for early commems. Has anyone had similar experiences? In addition, NGC is not very generous with PL designations for commems any longer. Whazzup?

TRUTH

I was wondering what type of error you were referring to because other than some slight die rotation (nowhere near 90 degrees) I have never seen an early commem. with a mint error. Are they common in comparison to other issues? (I am not into errors so I don't go looking for them, but I have seen a lot of other error coins at shows) If so I am a little surprised that I have never seen one.

John

Hi John,

I have handled various different mint error early commems over the years. I just sold an oregon trail with a strike through error recently. I have a columbian half with a strike through reverse in PCGS66 mint error holder. Most common are the minor clipped planchets on BTW and W/C. I have also seen and handled 1921 pilgrims with clashed dies, also a 1920 pilgrim with clashed dies. The maine commem is notorious with having a clash die reverse. Some commems come with lamination, but those are far rarer than most. Helen O'Carmody was putting together a commem book included commem errors before she passed away. They are definitely much rarer since the mintages are so low.

TRUTH

Good info on Commem errors. I don't think I have ever seen anything outside of a Stn Mtn DDO and a Columbian DDR.

What commems did you have that didn't make the PL designation? I had a 1893 Columbian that they wouldn't put PL on and it is as PL as you can get! NGC didn't like the deep toning, IMO.

Monty,

I was told from several reliable dealers that NGC stopped being lenient on PL designated early commems as of two years ago. The criteria went from semi-PL to actual mirror surfaces in order to get any PL designation. I again was told recently that NGC might loosen up on the criteria. About 1.5 years ago, I sent in several Rhode Islands, and Roanokes for PL, and none made it. In the interim, I have put aside several RI, Roan, New Rochelles, BTW's that are PL and just wondering if the timing is right to send them in. The criteria of Columbians used to be mirror surfaces with cameo devices, then it went to semi-mirror with cameo devices on both sides, yet I have seem several PL Columbians with one sided mirrors. So it seems the PL is rather whimsical at times. As far as the commem errors, I know of one dealer who is puting a website together for commem errors. He plans to post pictures from various sources on error commems. Rather neat. I plan to contribute a bit. Furthermore, the prices for some of these errors are all over the place. I sold a minor error last week in a PCGS holder for close to $800, common commem. I was told that the offcenters and broadstrucks are by far the most rare, commanding several thousands of dollars each.

TRUTH

Where are all the prooflike commems? I `ve been looking for any one, except the Columbian, for weeks now. Saw a couple of Rhode Islands about a month ago but didn`t have the money. Now I have the money and it`s like they`ve totally disappeared. Oh well, I`ll hunt on!

Pinnacle rarities had a PL Rhode Island in NGC65 on their website. I saw the coin, nice. Call them at 800 724 7642. Larry Shepard sometimes has a few PL BTWs on hand.

TRUTH

Truth,

I read mommam17's post and I remembered seeing the same RI on Pinnacle's web site awhile back. I was checking their web site to see if it was still there to let mommam17 know about it and when I got back you had already answered. Anyway it’s not there anymore, they must have sold it.

You know it’s funny that you guys are talking about PL Rhode Islands. I just bought a BLAST white MS-66 1936 RI graded by NGC that sure looks PL to me but it’s not noted on the label. I don’t mind though, I didn’t have to pay a premium! grin.gif

John

I was wondering what type of error you were referring to because other than some slight die rotation (nowhere near 90 degrees) I have never seen an early commem. with a mint error. Are they common in comparison to other issues? (I am not into errors so I don't go looking for them, but I have seen a lot of other error coins at shows) If so I am a little surprised that I have never seen one.

I had never seen an early commems anywhere near 90° myself (been looking for 18 years) until I came across this unc 1920 Maine piece a few weeks ago which is rotated 95°ccw.

20-mainefb.jpg

Wow! It is wild to see an early commem with that degree of die rotation. shocked.gif

After 18 years of serching I am sure you must have been thrilled to find such coin. grin.gif

Thanks for sharing the photo.

John

How do I contact Larry Shepard. I am not familar with the dealer. I am always looking for a PL Commem. with a different date that what I have, even if I have the type.