• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1928 Peace Dollar?

7 posts in this topic

Seems like the price is on the rise? I looked at the price maybe a year ago... and it seems like it is moving fast? am I wrong? Whats the story on this key coin? I have one in AU range but cleaned so marked down to EF - 40... I have seen many in ANACS holders like it ... and they are pulling strong money as compared to a year ago it seems.... new 2006 red book is $450.00 I have seen them go from $250 - $330 in recent auctions.... I guess my value of $175 is a bit old.... I was thinking mine was more like VF till I looked how they were being graded.... I guess the strikes are just weak overall .... maybe someone can shed some light as to why the 1928 Peace Dollar has picked up some steam....

Peace dollars have become more popular over the last year, and have moved up accordingly. Most of the common dates have stayed put, but the key dates like the 28, 21, 34-S, 24-S and 27-D have been moving steadily higher over the last year or so. Even so, they are probably still all cheaper than they were 15 years ago.

The 28 has been on the move for quite some time now. I bought a very nice MS63 piece for my album for less than $200 three years ago. You can't touch that coin now for less than $650. One of my best buys in terms of percentage rise. In the 3 years since, I've watched this coin rise more sharply than any other in the series. The demand finally caught up with the realization that nice pieces are in limited supply.

Hoot

The '28-P Peace dollars had a low mintage (only 360,000) which has always made them relatively expensive. The good thing is that they often come well struck and not too baggy. The "S" mint coins, almost without exception, are all poorly struck, except maybe the '26-S, and usually covered with marks. I think that the sleepers in the series are well struck "S" mint coins, if you can find them. This is particularly true of the '22, '23, '25 and '27-S coins. I have only seen a couple well struck, clean '22-S coins in (40) years of collecting them.