• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Paid Nearly Twice Bid for a Common Date, Common Variety, VG CBH!

6 posts in this topic

Why would someone do such a thing? Well, in this case paying nearly twice bid is really only paying about $40 over bid, and most folks wouldn't see a problem with that for a nice coin. Also, the piece is just so nice for what it is that I thought it would be happy in my collection. Oddly, the coin is in a slab! That won't be the case for long, however. wink.gif

The coin is an 1808 CBH in an NGC VG8 holder and is an O.103 die marriage. This is a common marriage for this date. The coin really spoke to me, though, with its complete originality. The surfaces are an even, cinnamon-coffee color on both sides and aside for a single stray mark across the eagle's right wing there really are no imperfections. This is the kind of "look" I go after in this series.

An interesting tidbit about this series is that there are approximately eight recognized sub-types to the CBH series! 893whatthe.gif This does not include, of course, the Flowing Hair, Draped Bust or Reeded Edge varieties that are either lumped together with the CBH series or have a similar look to them. The first sub-type was only issued in 1807 and 1808 and features extra low relief, a thinner Ms. Liberty and thinner eagle that is more remniscent of the 1795-1797 coinage than later eagles. I like these coins and they are not often found original.

It is what it is; and what it is is a nice coin. smile.gif

924991-new-3.jpg

924991-new-3.jpg.47d818583ea9736f0c4a4d68e80294bb.jpg