• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HEY SYRACUSIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 posts in this topic

I know you are enthralled by regular business strike coins which grade out as MS68, have a look what arrived today:

1880331-013.jpg

1880325-002.jpg

1880308-025.jpg

1880333-016.jpg

I know you are enthralled by regular business strike coins which grade out as MS68

Who isn't ?

I don't know if I should be jealous or happy. Hmmm, I think I'll choose happy this time. 893applaud-thumb.gif

That North Borneo is the best of the lot, but I wish you a spiritted bidding on the Greek coin as well. thumbsup2.gif

Awesome coin. Pegasas and a Phoenix on the same coin.

I thought so at first, but then I got to looking closely at the horse and decided the sculptor needed some anatomy lessons along with some basic artistic skills. flamed.gif

Hoot

The 1973 coins with the phoenix and various copies from ancients , were the first coins to ommit the portrait of the king after a fake referendum that abolished the monarchy by the colonels who had seized power since 1967.The royal shields of the reverses were already abandonned in the coins of 1971 in favour of the phoenix, presenting a bizarre mixture of a king who was in exile on the obverse and an emblem of an increasingly unpopular military government on the reverse.

The Pegasus of the 5 and 10 drachmai is a liberal copy of the one used in ancient Corinthian coins. The phoenix on the other hand, with its symbolic meaning of rebirth from its ashes had been already used in the first modern Greek coins of 1828-1831 and again in the 1930 5 drs before its reappearance in 1973. From a symbol of liberty and hope it became one of hatred towards the dictators who had adopted it as their emblem and as such, it still carries negative connotations to this day, at least for my generation.

Such sensitivities were not very likely to stop a greedy collector like me from acquiring them of course. juggle.gif

Thanks for all the nice comments. I agree with the consensus that Borneo is the pick of the litter. While all are quite nice, finding early stuff in that kind of preservation is not an every day occurance.