• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp...Roman Gordian III Antoninianus 238-244 A.D.

12 posts in this topic

Just picked this one up from Ebay. This would be considered my first Ancient and I can't tell you what a thrill it is to hold something this old and think about it circulating during the time of the Great Roman Empire!!! 893whatthe.gif

This coin dates to between 238 and 244 A.D. Since that's when Emporer Gordian III ruled. The coin has amazing detail considering the age and I can't wait to add more pieces to my collection 893applaud-thumb.gif

GordianIII.jpg

Nice pickup there,Shane. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I see you've been quick to add more ancients to your collection: LOT OF FIFTY ANCIENT "UNCLEANED" ROMAN COINS 893whatthe.gif

Let us know how the search goes,and enjoy your new collection.I'm not an avid collector of ancients but I do have a small collection and it is amazing to hold something that old in your hand!. thumbsup2.gif

BTW I wonder if there are any monster toned rainbow ancients?That would be interesting... insane.gif

-Hayden

BTW I wonder if there are any monster toned rainbow ancients?That would be interesting... insane.gif

I have see a few silver ancient with colorful toning. They are not common as far as I know. I'm not even sure if they command any significant premium.

Yep won a couple of lots of Uncleaned Ancients......I am not expecting much, but it was a cheap way to get my hands on some more coins and learn about the different denominations, rulers etc.......I like to learn about history thumbsup2.gif

I read a French metal detecting forum. When I saw your coin I remembered looking at a coin someone dug in a field the other day. Look at the similarity:

web page

They say it is Volusien, son of Trébonien Galle.

Antoninien made in Rome in the second half of the year 252.

• Administrator

Very cool!

If you're a roman empire buff, this is the start to an set of excellent fictions:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...ks&n=507846

Not very numismatic... but very cool.

I'd love to get some of the B.C. / republic coinage, but it seems expensive to a non-collector wimp like me. I've got an A.D. piece myself.

Thanks for the link...I am a big history buff and after watching several programs on Ancient Rome and Polumbus the Gladiator......I was moved to puchase some Roman Coins.......................even non collectors think they are cool!!!

That's pretty cool, my first ancient was also a Gordian III denerius. I have a little Constantine bronze coin as well as a big batch of uncleaned ancients still soaking in oil as we speak.

I'll get some pitures up later.