• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1999 silver proof sets: overpriced?

12 posts in this topic

1999 silver proof sets are going for $350 on eBay.

That's almost a 10x increase since they came out.

Is there really that much demand for them?

Yes! The interest in the States Quarters Program brought millions of new collectors into the hobby, and many missed out on the '99 set before production ceased. By the time 2000 rolled around, the price had already doubled and it has continued to climb ever since. The current Greysheet (dealer-to-dealer) lists the bid/ask at $340/$350, and I have seen the '99 set sell for as high as $455 on eBay. If dealers are willing to pay $340-$350 for them, then it would appear that $350 on eBay is a reasonable price. It all boils down to supply and demand.

There are some members of these boards who will tell you that these prices are ridiculous for moderns. Please note that I did not say that it was a good value. I merely stated that it was a reasonable price considering the circumstances.

Chris

There are some members of these boards who will tell you that these prices are ridiculous for moderns. Please note that I did not say that it was a good value. I merely stated that it was a reasonable price considering the circumstances.

Members? 893whatthe.gif

Here? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Call prices of modern coins ridiculous…

...I plead the fifth insane.gif

As to the price of the 1999 silver proof set, I'm liking it.

I sold the last of 4 extra silver sets that I bought from the mint in 1999 on EBay back in July, it sold for $377. They were selling for $275 just a few months earlier so I didn’t know if they would keep going up after I sold mine, but I really really needed new coins for the old type set.

The cash went directly into an 1829 Half Dime. cloud9.gif

Members? 893whatthe.gif

Here? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Call prices of modern coins ridiculous…

...I plead the fifth insane.gif

As to the price of the 1999 silver proof set, I'm liking it.

I sold the last of 4 extra silver sets that I bought from the mint in 1999 on EBay back in July, it sold for $377. They were selling for $275 just a few months earlier so I didn’t know if they would keep going up after I sold mine, but I really really needed new coins for the old type set.

The cash went directly into an 1829 Half Dime. cloud9.gif

GOOD FOR YOU! thumbsup2.gif

Chris

I purchased a 1999 Silver Proof set in 2002 when I started collecting. I had thought I might want to have a run of Silver/Clad Proof Sets for 199-2008. I paid $250 for it, which felt a bit steep. A few months ago I sold it on ebay for $388. i felt better about it then. I firmly believe the floor will fall out on these at some point, and eventually someone will pay $500 for a set that will be worth much less in 10 years. Just my opinion.

Demand on these sets is high and as Chris stated, many new collectors missed out on the first State Quarter silver proof set issue. This situation created the demand for this issue. The mintage for this proof set was about 805,000 but they must be closely held by collectors to maintain the high price. As for the future pricing of these sets, who knows?

I,like many others,was re-attracted to coins by the state quarters sets.If memory stands me well,there was a limit of two sets per person,for quite awhile.

I sold my extra set for $200,then recently bought a set with a cracked case for around $40 at a charity auction.

Although pretty much a novice in coins,I'd guess that the recent price increases are fairly unsustainable.

1999 silver proof sets are going for $350 on eBay.

That's almost a 10x increase since they came out.

Is there really that much demand for them?

It just makes no damned sense to me?! screwy.gif But, apparently there is a demand or else they wouldn't be bringing such a premium.

I have mine in NGC PR69's. Eventually, I want to trade it for a conventional set to match the rest of my collection in Eagle Albums.

Ironically, I bought this set when I was a newbie from The Coin Vault for $300. Probably the only item ever which has made a profit from those sheisters.

Well there is no way I would pay that much for a modden!!! Yes there are a lot of new people because of the new programs from the mint but I think its going to die down when they end and people will move on to something new then the market will be loaded with mint sets and new stuff and it will end up at rock bottom again.

OT-Anyone know what a set of NCG UltraCameo 69 Silver proofs goes for?

I'd completely forgotten I had a set until someone brought it up.

Went looking and found it along with two sets of regular proof 69 Ultra Cameos. An estimated price on these would be appreciated as well.

BTW- I paid $160 for the Siver 69s,and about $100 each for the regular proof 69s.