• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden State show was hot, no, gloomy, no, pretty good.

5 posts in this topic

Well, after a 2.5 hour drive, I arrived in Arcadia for the Golden State show at about 12:30PM. It was already about 95 degrees outside, so I rushed into the Masonic hall where the air conditioning was working fine. cloud9.gif I took a cursory walk around the show, all tables full, about 45 dealers. Although not bustling, very active for the first few hours. I managed to look at every dealers table and searched for Mexico coinage. I found one dealer who had a very fresh inventory and sat at his table for a good 45 minutes. I bought about $1000 worth of nicer Mexico, which was a pleasant surprise and picked up a very, very nice raw Oregon trail for a very, very reasonable price. Several dealers were a bit disappointed with the turnout, somewhat gloomy. frown.gifYet, I noticed activity throughout the day. Superior Coin Galleries set up, which was very unusual. In addition, many mom and pop dealers were set up. A few noticeable larger dealers were absent, probably due to summer vacations. I literally looked at hundreds of coins today, and the time went by quickly. I expected to stay 2 hours maximum, but ended up there 4 hours. 893whatthe.gif I was very, very pleased with my purchases. Although no killer commems, there was tons of collector coins and currency in the $200-$500 range. This show is traditionally a quaint club show, but sometimes a few larger out of town dealers set up. Not the case this time, but that's OK. One dealer I talked with was very happy to see the new Anaheim show evolve and hopes to switch over from Long Beach to Anaheim.

Overall: B-

TRUTH

Truth---- Are you sure that you are ok? Not sick or anything? A grade of B- is about an 80 by today"s standards. Another "positive" report. All kidding aside---it is great that people still love coin collecting. Sort of like baseball. You can do a lot to it---but it just keeps coming back. Or is that the "energizer bunny"? Bob [supertooth]

Truth---- Are you sure that you are ok? Not sick or anything? A grade of B- is about an 80 by today"s standards. Another "positive" report. All kidding aside---it is great that people still love coin collecting. Sort of like baseball. You can do a lot to it---but it just keeps coming back. Or is that the "energizer bunny"? Bob [supertooth]

In general, for the last year, the club shows in the Bay Area and So. Cal have been fairly well attended and supported by the local community. Club shows are generally 40-50 tables. Most smaller shows have mom and pop dealers who bring out nicer inventory since they set up more infrequenly. The larger shows such as Long Beach have seen a major decline in public attendance. Why spend $20 just to park and enter, when a club show is free parking and free admission? I talked to a dealer at the Arcadia show and surmises that coin collectors are a cheap type of folk and will not spend drive time, inconvenience and then $20 to get to coin show. I agreed. He also explained his current table at Long Beach is over $1000, and Anaheim would be half that. So Anaheim looks more like a collector's show, than a wheeler and dealer Long Beach. Admission is $8 for Long Beach and $2 for Anaheim.

TRUTH