• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How's the new boards server?

58 posts in this topic

sounds like a euphemism

Hey, Arch, that sounds like a fancy way of calling the unnamed pair pheminine. Apparently, to answer your question, the broads, er, I mean boards, seem to be working well.

sounds like a euphemism

Hey, Arch, that sounds like a fancy way of calling the unnamed pair pheminine. Apparently, to answer your question, the broads, er, I mean boards, seem to be working well.

yeahok.gif

We have pairs and then we have those who work alone...

J/K IGWT! 27_laughing.gif

I think everone on these boards has trolled at least once,some (much,much) more than others. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think everone on these boards has trolled at least once,some (much,much) more than others.

I'm new enough, Hayden, to not know what "trolling" really means. angel.gif I figured, if I'm merely responding to Arch's remark, how could I possibly get in trouble? yay.gif

?

When I log out, then back in, msgs read appear as new unread msgs. I deleted cookies, etc, but it still does that. Other than that everything seems much better.

When I log out, then back in, msgs read appear as new unread msgs. I deleted cookies, etc, but it still does that. Other than that everything seems much better.

I've been having that problem intermitenly for a couple of weeks now. It's quite annoying.

I've been having that problem intermitenly for a couple of weeks now. It's quite annoying.

I just had the same problem right after the upgrade. However since about 2:00 it is back to normal 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ditto. I've had this happen on other message boards, too. I always figured it was just "one of those things."

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Arch, thanks for making the boards faster and smoother. There is one area that still gives me an occasional problem. A short while ago, I submitted a post that took me more than 30 minutes to prepare. I was informed that the "session" had timed out and was instructed to use the "Back" button. When I did this, I returned to my post...........a blank page! Now, I have to start all over and hope that I can recall exactly what I had written before.

Why does it keep doing this? Is it really necessary to place a time limit on our posts? If so, why not include a "Reply Someday" checkbox which would take us to another area of the server...........sort of like working offline.

Chris

A short while ago, I submitted a post that took me more than 30 minutes to prepare. I was informed that the "session" had timed out and was instructed to use the "Back" button. When I did this, I returned to my post...........a blank page!

Me too. Christo_pull_hair.gif

• Administrator
Arch, thanks for making the boards faster and smoother. There is one area that still gives me an occasional problem. A short while ago, I submitted a post that took me more than 30 minutes to prepare. I was informed that the "session" had timed out and was instructed to use the "Back" button. When I did this, I returned to my post...........a blank page! Now, I have to start all over and hope that I can recall exactly what I had written before.

Why does it keep doing this? Is it really necessary to place a time limit on our posts? If so, why not include a "Reply Someday" checkbox which would take us to another area of the server...........sort of like working offline.

Chris

Well, when you hit your back button, whether the text you have typed into a form on a web page is saved or not is something that's controlled by the browser. Behaviour in this regard with IE seems to be somewhat erratic. I use FireFox, and I almost always get back what was there when I hit back. Controlling that isn't something we can effect through the board software.

However, as to the session timeout, when you log into the boards, do you check the "Remember me on each visit." box? If you do that, then I think your login is not dependent on sessions, UNLESS you have something blocking cookies.

Chris

Well, when you hit your back button, whether the text you have typed into a form on a web page is saved or not is something that's controlled by the browser. Behaviour in this regard with IE seems to be somewhat erratic. I use FireFox, and I almost always get back what was there when I hit back. Controlling that isn't something we can effect through the board software.

This may be true, but I've only begun experiencing this with the new board software. Now, evey time I use the forward or back buttons, the page refreshes. There is something about your software that is creating the demand and not the other way around. Besides, Arch, most of us are stuck with IExplorer and don't even care to try Foxfire or another web browser. I think that the issue should be handled on your end, as we are the unfortunate end-users of our software and may not have control over options that cause the kind of software/web browser interactions that are being described. Obviously, there is something about the new board software that is making IE refresh with page transitions, even when the page information should be loaded in the cache. This is new and originates on your end.

BTW, I'm happy about the speed smile.gif.

Hoot

Dammit, it did it again! This time it said "The page is no longer valid."

I'm logged in............I'm always logged in!

Ditto to whatever Hoot said!

Chris

• Administrator

Just reproduced the session time out in a test. More info as available.

But I still can't make your browser behave, hoot. wink.gif

Nonetheless, assuming the session time out is fixable it becomes irrelevant.

This exact problem is happening to me. (Typing a post, and then when you hit continue, it instructs you to hit the back button, and, the next thing you know, everything is gone.) and it never used to.

Getting you to behave is the larger issue... makepoint.gif

grin.gif

yay.gifinsane.gif893whatthe.giftonofbricks.gifstooges.gifboo.gifjuggle.gifpopcorn.gifhi.gifforeheadslap.gifflamed.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifyeahok.gif

Hoot

Getting you to behave is the larger issue... makepoint.gif

grin.gif

yay.gifinsane.gif893whatthe.giftonofbricks.gifstooges.gifboo.gifjuggle.gifpopcorn.gifhi.gifforeheadslap.gifflamed.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifyeahok.gif

Hoot

Yeah,I heard NGC would have banned him by now if he wasn't their own administrator. stooges.gif

BTW I don't have any of the problems that you all seem to be having other than it freezing up every so often.But that's probably because of my old cluncker of a computer... frown.gif

BTW I don't have any of the problems that you all seem to be having other than it freezing up every so often.But that's probably because of my old cluncker of a computer... frown.gif

As you get older, Hayden, you will find yourself taking more time thinking of what you are about to say so you won't be picking your teeth with your toenails.

Chris

As you get older, Hayden, you will find yourself taking more time thinking of what you are about to say so you won't be picking your teeth with your toenails.

Chris

confused.gif Don't quite know what statement I made that you're referring to.

If you mean the above,I don't have any problems loggin in or anything like that,but my computer does love to freeze up on me...

Chris

If you mean the above,I don't have any problems loggin in or anything like that,but my computer does love to freeze up on me...

We were discussing the problem with "timed-out sessions".

Arch, it did it to me again. "This page is no longer valid. Please use your 'Back' button to return to the previous page."

This time I was preparing a lengthy comment on the thread about the 2005 Mint Sets, and it erased it all.

frustrated.gifH frustrated.gifE frustrated.gifL frustrated.gifP frustrated.giffrustrated.giffrustrated.gifM frustrated.gifE frustrated.gif! frustrated.gif................ The Fly

Chris

Chris

Arch, it did it to me again. "This page is no longer valid. Please use your 'Back' button to return to the previous page."

This time I was preparing a lengthy comment on the thread about the 2005 Mint Sets, and it erased it all.

frustrated.gifH frustrated.gifE frustrated.gifL frustrated.gifP frustrated.giffrustrated.giffrustrated.gifM frustrated.gifE frustrated.gif! frustrated.gif................ The Fly

Chris

Oh I understand know,the same thing just happened to me the other day as well and I lost my reply.Of course this is what happens when you take to long. 893naughty-thumb.gifsign-rantpost.gif

You may want to copy your reply into wordpad before sending it so that if it does delete it you won't lose your reply...

Chris

Chris

Oh I understand know,the same thing just happened to me the other day as well and I lost my reply.Of course this is what happens when you take to long. 893naughty-thumb.gifsign-rantpost.gif

You may want to copy your reply into wordpad before sending it so that if it does delete it you won't lose your reply...

But that is just a work-around that doesn't address the problem. This had never happened to me before. Why now?

Chris

Chris

Chris

But that is just a work-around that doesn't address the problem. This had never happened to me before. Why now?

Chris

Hey I can't fix the problem but at least you won't lose your replies...

I actually get PM notices into my hotmail inbox instead of my junkmail box now.

Now, what is this that I hear about posts timing out.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

• Administrator

Chris

Ok. We found a piece of info stored in your session that's used for a security check which was expiring after 24 minutes. This was probably responsible for the issue.

We've cranked it up to 24 hours.