• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1944 Dominican Republic 25c - Superb Grade & Color

11 posts in this topic

The typical design of Dominican Republic coinage of this time period. The obverse (actually reverse) features a native princess and the reverse (actually obverse) features a banner over the national arms.

Coins from this time period circulated heavily and there is a wide catalog difference between XF examples and uncirculated. Gem examples of many dates are near impossible to come by.

This is one of the key dates of this type which was minted sporadicly from 1937-61 (10 years total). The mintage is 400,000.

This example is toned in varying shades of golds, reds, and blues.

Given the condition and the color, this is a coin a serious Dominican Republic collector would kill for. smile.gif

2750088-033.jpg

Five of those ten years they were made at the Philadelphia Mint. Too bad 1944 wasn't one of them. Nice coin!

Yes, mine is for sale, but I have no idea on a price. I was planning on putting it on eBay. The gem silver Dominican Republic coins I've sold on eBay have gone for prices I'd never have imagined. The fact that this one is colorfully toned makes it that much harder to price.

As for the example you just purchased, I know it well. I owned it and submitted it to NGC along with a couple others. It was then sold/traded to another forum member who sold it on eBay (for more than you paid) to your seller.

I don't remember that exact coin, but of the 3 I submitted, I remember thinking that they graded them rather strict.

Given the condition and the color, this is a coin a serious Dominican Republic collector would kill for.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you determine the condition under all that tarnish ? confused-smiley-013.gif

Given the condition and the color, this is a coin a serious Dominican Republic collector would kill for.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you determine the condition under all that tarnish ? confused-smiley-013.gif

The same way you do with a brilliant coin, by rotating it in the light and looking for imperfections. The luster is nice on this coin and the marks can be seen easily on toned coins if they have good luster.

I have a completely blast white California state quarter in MS66 that I'll trade for your corroded 25 centavos you got there. thumbsup2.gif

It's comments like this that make me even more glad that I kept all the good uncleaned ancients for myself and gave you the dirt covered slugs. cloud9.gif