• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I have this coin Conserved?

4 posts in this topic

I've had this coin for a couple of years now. It seems to be getting darker and more mottled as time goes on. I've been agonizing for a while now whether to have it conserved or not. When looking at it "naked eye" under a bright desk lamp, the underlying luster is booming. So much so that it blows past the mottled toning. I took this into the lab at work and viewed it under our 30X stereo inspection scope and noticed the lines which I thought were hairlines are actually raised lines from die polishing. It happens to be in an old green PCGS holder. Any comments would be appreciated.

1851o_50c_P64_o.jpg

1851o_50c_P64_r.jpg

Thanks all! cool.gif

jb

jb's gold country sets

I believe I would send it to NCS in the holder for an evaluation. I'm not sure what the black stuff is or if it can be safely removed. If you send it in the holder NCS will guarantee the grade.

It is difficult to tell what is on the surface of your coin. stev32k does have it right. Your coin would be a good candidate to be submitted for evaluation. If work is performed, the grade listed on its current holder will be maintained.

Chris, NCS